school reunion 3.4

"The Skasis Paradigm" The Doctor said. Symbols continued flashing on the big screen and all the computer monitors. "They're trying to crack the Skasis Paradigm"

"The Skasis what?" Sarah Jane asked.

"The God maker. The universal theory. Crack that equation and you've got control of the building blocks of the universe. Time and space and matter, yours to control"

"What, and the kids are like a giant computer?" Rose wondered.

"Yes" Nova nodded. She looked at Rose. "And their learning power is being accelerated by the oil. That oil from the kitchens, it works as a, as a conducting agent. Makes the kids cleverer"  

Rose's eyes widened. "But that oil's on the chips. Tate and I've been eating them"

"What's fifty nine times thirty five?"

"Two thousand and sixty five. Oh, my God"

"But why use children? Can't they use adults?" Sarah Jane asked.

" No, it's got to be children" The Doctor said. "The God maker needs imagination to crack it. They're not just using the children's brains to break the code, they're using their souls"

Finch entered the room. "Let the lesson begin" He said. Everyone's attention turned towards Finch. "Think of it, Doctor and Nightingale. With the Paradigm solved, reality becomes clay in our hands. We can shape the universe and improve it"

Nova rolled her eyes, while The Doctor put his hands on his hips. "Oh yeah?" The Doctor said. "The whole of creation with the face of Mister Finch? Call me old fashioned, but I like things as they are"

"I do too" Nova agreed.

"You both act like such a radical, and yet all you want to do is preserve the old order? Think of the changes that could be made if this power was used for good" Finch tried to tempt.

"What?" The Doctor scoffed. "By someone like you?"

"No, someone like you. The Paradigm gives us power, but you could give us wisdom. Become a God at my side. Imagine what you could do. Think of the civilisations you could save. Perganon, Assinta. Your own people, Doctor, standing tall. The Time Lords reborn" 

Finch looked at Nova. "I offer you the same, Nightingale, but there is something else you seek. The whole fate of the universe depends on it. Something about stones and keeping them out of the wrong hands. I could bring them to you. You could end the long search"

"Don't listen to him!" Sarah Jane said. "Neither of you!"

"And you," Finch moved towards Sarah Jane. "Could be with him throughout eternity. Young, fresh, never wither, never age, never die. Their lives are so fleeting. So many goodbyes" Finch looked to The Doctor. "How lonely you must be, Doctor. Join us" Finch then looked to Nova. "You too, Nightingale. I can make it certain that you complete your task. You find the stones." Finch then looked between the two Time Lords. "I can also make sure that you two stay together forever"

"I could save everyone" The Doctor said.

"Yes"

"I could stop the war"

"The stones would finally be found" Nova spoke up. "I wouldn't have to search anymore" Then she glanced over at The Doctor, who was staring back at her intently. The two of them joined hands. "We'd be together"

"Forever"

Finch smiled, thinking that he got to them. Sarah Jane began to protest. "No. The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship, everything has its time. And everything ends"