the impossible planet 8.2

Everyone crowded around the central computer. Toby had also returned, announcing upon his arrival, "The rocket link's fine"

Zach pulled up a hologram. "That's the black hole, officially designated K three seven Gen five"

"In the scriptures of the Falltino, this planet is called Kroptor, the bitter pill" Ida began to explain. "And the black hole is supposed to be a mighty demon. It was tricked into devouring the planet, only to spit it out, because it was poison"

"The bitter pill" Rose repeated, then smiled amusingly. "I like that"

"We are so far out. Lost in the drifts of the universe. How did you even get here?!" The Doctor wondered.

"We flew in" Zach answered. He changed the image on the hologram. "You see, this planet's generating a gravity field. We don't know how. We've no idea. But it's kept in constant balance against the black hole. And the field extends out there as a funnel. A distinct gravity funnel, reaching out into clear space. That was our way in"

Rose raised her eyebrows, clearly impressed. "You flew down that thing?"

"Just like a rollercoaster" Tate added, an amused smirk on his face.

"By rights, the ship should have been torn apart" Zach admitted. "We lost the Captain, which is what put me in charge"

"You're doing a good job" Ida assured him.

"Yeah, well, needs must"

"But if that gravity funnel closes, there's no way out" Danny explained.

"We had fun speculating about that" Scooti added.

"Oh, yeah. That's the word" Danny bonked Scooti on the head with the roll of paper he was holding. "Fun"

"But that field would take phenomenal amounts of power" Nova exclaimed, feeling quite perplexed about the entire situation. She looked to The Doctor. "Wouldn't you agree, my dear Doctor?" She asked, wanting a second opinion.

"Oh, yes" The Doctor nodded in agreement. "And not just big amounts of power, but off the scale!" He pointed at the remote control that was situated near Ida. "Can I?"

Ida grabbed the remote. "Sure. Help yourself" She walked round the computer and over beside The Doctor and Nova. She gave The Doctor the remote.

An Ood approached Rose, and gave her the plastic cup it had in its hand. "Your refreshment" The Ood offered politely.

"Oh, yeah. Thanks" Rose took the cup. "I'm sorry, what was your name?"

"We have no titles. We are as one"

As the Ood walked away from Rose, Tate approached Danny and Scooti. "What are they called?" He wondered, pointing at the Ood. Rose also joined them, her cup of water in hand.

"Oh, come on. Where have you been living?" Danny asked. "Everyone's got one"

"Well, not us so, what are they?" Rose repeated Tate's question.

"They're the Ood"

"The Ood?" Both Rose and Tate repeated.

"The Ood"

"Well that's ood" Rose joked with a play on words, making Tate chuckle beside her.

"Very ood, but handy" Danny went on about the Ood. "They work the mine shafts. All the drilling and stuff. Supervision and maintenance. They're born for it. Basic slave race"

"You've got slaves?"

"Don't start" Scooti told Danny. "She's like one of that lot. Friends of the Ood"