a date for rose and tate

Rose and Tate sat on the couch with Jackie. Tate sipped on his tea as he listened to Jackie tell a story about something funny Rose did when she was younger. Rose groaned in embarrassment from hearing her mother tell the story. "Mum, that story is so embarrassing!"

"Oh, come on, Rose" Tate teased, nudging her with his shoulder. "You're not the first girl to sing in front of her stuffed animals"

"She would go all out with it!" Jackie laughed. "She'd make up these fake concert tickets and make her stuffed toys pay for them with some Monopoly money. Every three or four songs she sang, she'd do a costume change into all these sparkly outfits I was tempted to buy for her"

"How about we hear a story about Tate, now?" Rose suggested. "I'm sure he's got something to tell"

"Oh, not really" Tate confessed with a shrug. "I guess the most interesting thing about me is that when I was younger, and my parents were still together, we'd spend every summer and holiday at my grandparents farm"

"That sounds nice" Jackie commented with a smile. "What kind of things did they have on the farm?"

"Oh, it was the most beautiful farm in all of Dublin. The greenest grass you'd ever seen, and my grandma tended a beautiful garden full of bright flowers and fresh vegetables. They had horses, goats, cows, chickens, pigs. There was even this lake on the farm. On hot summer days, it was nice to swim in it. Sometimes you got lucky and saw a frog or two"

Jackie closed her eyes and sighed in bliss, imagining life on a farm like that. "Usually, I'm not one for farms, but your grandparents' farm? Sounds like one I'd like to live on"

Rose smiled and leaned her head against Tate. A farm like that did sound nice. Rose could imagine her settling into a life with Tate, once their adventures with The Doctor and Nova were over. The two of them could live on a farm, a nice quiet life away from the city. They'd get married, and have children. Jackie could even come live with them. Rose couldn't imagine living so far away from her mother.

"But my favorite thing about that farm, is the fact that my grandparents, and my mom and dad got married on that farm. My grandfather had built a gazebo, and it still sits on that farm to this day"

"Do your grandparents still live on that farm?" Rose wondered.

"I would imagine they do" Tate said. "They still write to me, but I haven't seen them in years. I would love to see them again. They're getting older, and I don't know how much longer they're going to be around"

______

It was still early in the afternoon. Rose and Tate decided to go out for a walk. It was a bit breezy out, so they made sure they had jackets. Rose managed to find one for Tate to wear. "Hey, mum. Tate and I are heading out for some chips" Rose informed Jackie. "Do you want us to bring you back some?"

"No, that's alright" Jackie said. "You two go out and have some fun"

"Thanks, mum. Oh, and call me if The Doctor and Nova come back before we get home" Rose kissed Jackie on the cheek before her and Tate made their way out the door. "What do you think Nova and The Doctor are doing right now?"

"I don't know" Tate shrugged. "But they better not be on a fun adventure without us"

"I bet you anything they're out on their own date. Y'know, kind of like we are now"

"This is a date?"

"Do you want it to be?"

Tate smiled at Rose, and grasped her hand in his own. "Rose Tyler, I'd love this to be a date"