the idiot's lantern 7.4

Magpie suddenly came in from the back. "What do you think you're doing?" he demanded. The Doctor and Nova angrily marched over to him.

"We want our friend restored, and I think that's beyond a little backstreet electrician, so tell me, who's really in charge here?" The Doctor growled.

"Yoo hoo!" Everyone's attention turned to the Wire. "I think that must be me. Ooh, this one's smart as paint. And that one is as pretty as a seashell"

"Is she talking to us?" Bishop wondered out loud.

"I'm sorry gentlemen, and madam, I'm afraid you've brought this on yourselves. May I introduce you to my new friend" Magpie said.

"Jolly nice to meet you" the Wire said.

"Oh my God, it's her, that woman off the telly" Bishop exclaimed.

"No, it's just using her image" Nova clarified.

"What?" Tommy muttered in confusion. "What are you?"

"I'm the Wire, and I will gobble you up, pretty boy" The way she said it with a smile on her face was highly disturbing. "Every last morsel" The black and white image changed to a colored image. "And when I have feasted, I shall regain the corporeal body, which my fellow kind denied me"

"Good lord" Bishop gasped with eyes wide. "Colour television!"

"So your own people tried to stop you?" The Doctor pried.

"They executed me. But I escaped in this form and fled across the stars" the Wire explained.

"And now you're trapped in the television"

The Wire frowned as the colour on the screen reverted back to black and white. "Not for much longer"

"Doctor, Nightingale, is this what got my Gran?" Tommy asked.

"Yes, Tommy" Nova answered with a nod. "It feeds off the electrical activity of the brain, but it gorges itself like a great overfed pig, taking people's faces, their essences. It stuffs itself"

"And you let her do it, Magpie" Bishop correctly accused.

"I had to. She allowed me my face" Magpie explained, as if it was an excuse for doing what he did. "She's promised to release me at the time of manifestation"

"What does that mean?" Tommy asked.

"The appointed time. My crowning glory" the Wire stated.

"Doctor, Nightingale, the coronation!" Bishop realized.

"For the first time in history, millions gathered around a television set. But you're not strong enough yet, are you? You can't do it all from here" The Doctor said.

Nova continued on from that point. She grabbed the portable television. "That's why you need this. You need something more powerful! This will turn a big transmitter into a big receiver"

"What clever things you both are!" the Wire said, shaking her head. "But why fret about it? Why not just relax? Kick off your shoes and enjoy the Coronation. Believe me, you'll be glued to the screen" Energy came out of the television, and grabbed onto The Doctor, Nova, Bishop, and Tommy's faces.

"Doctor! Nightingale!" Bishop pleaded for them to help.

"Hungry! Hungry! The Wire is hungry! Ah, these two are tasty. Oh, I'll have lashings of them! Delicious!" The Doctor and Nova both reached into their pockets for their sonic screwdrivers. "Ah! Armed. They're armed and clever. Withdraw! Withdraw!" The energy disappeared and the four of them collapsed to the ground. "The box, Magpie! The box!" Magpie grabbed the portable television, which had dropped beside a blank-faced Bishop. "Hold tight!" The Wire zapped herself into the small box. "Conduct me to my victory, Magpie"