~Twenty Nine~

Dedicated to i_am_joy_cee ❤️❤️

#unedited

~Jade~

'When should we go and register for Jamb?'

I asked Hana, we were both sitting in class. It was a free period. Well, most of our periods were free now. We were only left with doing revisions. Hana tucked an imaginary hair behind her ears.

Jade, there is something I need to tell you.'

'What's it?'

'I... don't... think... I'm going to pick the  University of Ibadan as my first choice again.'

When she stuttered while talking, I knew she'll say something bad but not this. I stared at her, pointedly. She did not meet my gaze. What happened to choose the same university? What happened to live in the same hall?

'Why? What happened?'

'It's my manager. We figured out moving to Lagos will be good for my career.'

I nodded, without saying anything. She put her hands over mine that was on my desk.

'I'm sorry. I just.....'

'I'm going for the tutorial with Uthman. I'll be back.'

I stood up and left. The truth is it wasn't even yet time for the tutorial with Uthman. Yeah. I started the tutorial with Uthman two days ago. I had no option. I left the class and went to the swimming pool. I don't even go there on a normal day. I'm not a fan of swimming or even any sport. I took my shoes and socks off and I sat at the edge of the pool, my legs inside.

Something was going on with Zee at home and I'm starting to get suspicious. I don't know what exactly but she has been on phone conversations with someone she doesn't want me to know and I kind of figured out she went to meet that person. I hope it's not what I'm thinking. And then Hana dropped her bombshell on me this morning. I understand why she wants to choose Unilag because of her modeling career but it's just that I've never thought of my university days without Hana in it. And after I started the tutorial sessions with Uthman, reality has started to sink in that I've lost my chances of representing Lakeview at the  ECOWAS oratory contest. I did not win Mandela's contest and now, no chances of winning ECOWAS' too, all because of Michelle. I just dislike that girl so much.

'Are you thinking of jumping in?'

My skin jumped at those words and I nearly tumbled into the water. It was Uthman.

'I told you to stop sneaking in on me. I could have tumbled in.'

'But you did not so we're cool.'

I rolled my eyes.

'Can you please leave? I'm enjoying my solitude.'

'Do that in your personal space.'

He replied and I watched him take off his shoes and socks. He rolled his trousers up and sat beside me. His hands mistakenly touched mine as he sat down and I removed my hands hurriedly.

'So a penny for your thoughts?'

'Don't talk to me. I'll just pretend you ain't here.'

He laughed.

'At least this is better, you ain't running away or going all bitchy on me.'

I scowled.

'Maybe I realized you are not worth wasting my energy on.'

He did not say anything for a while and when I turned to look at him. He was staring at me intently. I involuntarily moved back, remembering our moments in the library.