Asui Tsuyu x Non-binary Reader *Edited*

A/N: This is going to be 1,000 words or less so I guess it's a drabble.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The stares and the whispers behind your back, everywhere that you went were nothing new to you. They were all the same things that you've gotten used to over the last year since you decided to come out

"What are they?"

"Are they a girl or a boy?"

"Do they have a penis or a vagina?"

"What is that, that they are wearing? Don't they know how to dress?"

"Why are they pretending to be something they are not?"

"Why did they change? They weren't happy with the way that God made them?"

"God only made two genders, a woman or a man. You cannot be both or neither."

"Maybe their quirk makes them look like that? Poor thing."

These along with so many other assumptions, rude and snarky comments, and remarks were heard by you and from other nonbinary people. Why did it matter what you have? Why was it so important for people to know if you had a vagina or penis? For all, they know you could have a black swirling vortex that could swallow people just like that cat from the Captain Marvel movie. What was it a Florgan? That was beside the point, you would think in a world where eighty percent of the population has some sort of superpower that not looking at a specific gender wouldn't be such a big deal? Well, you were wrong and underestimated the sheer level of ignorance that some people possess. Sometimes it's nosiness and they just want to ask so they can gossip to other people and then there are the rare people who genuinely want to know because they are curious and want to be your friend. You never thought that this could be true until you came to U.A and you met your wonderful classmates. Aside from Mineta who was confused and on more than one occasion tried to peek at your genitals and just to confuse him even further some days you would come in a skirt and blouse like the girls with your makeup done. Yes, your reptilian tail made it hard to wear a skirt but you altered them so that your tail fit through at the top, and the skirt was long enough to cover you and not give anything away. Then there would be days you would wear trousers with a blazer and had no makeup and looked like a boy. It was a fun confusing game that humored you way more than you care to admit.

"L/N" You turned to your girlfriend Asui who was staring right back at you with her tongue out and her finger on her chin. You weren't sure what she was going to ask you but, you grabbed her hand and gave it a light squeeze to encourage her that she can in fact ask you anything. "What does it mean to be non-binary?" You paused freezing a bit just looking at her. How do you explain to your girlfriend who only believes in logic and common sense what non-binary is and that you are in fact non-binary? "I was going to ask Present Mic but, I rather hear the answer from you" Present Mic would have been good but weird to ask your teacher who wears dresses and pants.

"Well, uh, you see...." You looked around not really wanting to explain in the smack middle of the common room what non-binary is to your girlfriend. You weren't ashamed of who you were, but you did value your privacy and Asui picked up on that fast.

"Let's go to my room, ribbit." You thought to yourself that her little ribbits were going to be the death of you one of these days as you let her guide you to her room. She locked the door as you sat comfortably on her bed leaning back against the wall as she joined you and leaned her head on her shoulder. You took a deep breath not wanting to stall the inevitable

"Non-binary is a person that is neither male nor female, man or woman. They may or may not look like one or the other gender." You glanced down to gauge her reaction and felt her face flush as she stared up at you unblinking "S-see a nonbinary person will dress in a 3-piece suit but, will also wear a dress and heels. They can even wear makeup or no makeup. I-it's not something easy to be explained in such short sentences b-but that's like the, uh." You swallowed the sudden lump you got in your throat. Why were you so nervous to tell her this? You never felt like you belonged to a man or a woman and you finally came to terms with it a year ago and your self-love and confidence have sky-rocketed since then. So, why was it so hard to explain to your girlfriend of six months this?

"You're non-binary." She didn't phrase it as a question she said it as a statement. She already knew the answer so why was it so hot suddenly? You began to fan yourself and figured it was the nerves that made your temperature rise. You jumped when you felt a pair of cold hands rest on your cheeks. Your head was turned to look down at Asui who was looking up at you with a smile "I don't care if you're a man or a woman Y/N. I like you for who you are, not your privates." It wasn't much but to you? It meant the world hear those words come from her lips. You placed your hands-on top of hers resting your forehead on hers breathing in her ocean salt aroma. You always did love the smell of the beach and ocean

"Thank you Asui...for being the best." She said nothing except croak softly and snuggled more into you.

-----------------------------------------------------------

This was something short and I'm impressed I was able to write something only 1,000 words. Usually, it's between 1,300-1,700 words.