~Thirty~

Dedicated to Aisha, my fellow Marlian😜♥️
~Jade~

'Uthman'

Hana stared at me for a minute longer than usual before she burst into laughter. She clutched her stomach, laughing hard.

'Oh come on Jade, telling me you like Caleb is more believable than you telling you like Uthman. What kind of ridiculous liking is that one?'

I smiled. I've always thought that it is ridiculous too, Hana saying it again confirmed it. I said nothing for a while, staring into space.

'Wait oo Jade, are you serious?'

'No'

She looked at me strangely before she lay on the bed.

'Goodnight Jade, dream of me till the loyal comes.'

I laughed.

'Well, dream of me too.'

After a while, Hana fell asleep but I was not even feeling sleepy. The time could as well be 2 pm. Why did I say Uthman's name? Could I seriously like him? Uthman? Of all people? We've gotten closer than before. I mean we now have conversations like normal before, we crack jokes together, we laugh together. We're pretty much like friends now, just like Akin but then, I don't feel the way I feel around Uthman when I'm with Akin. I for sure don't go flinching when Akin touches my hand, I don't tense up whenever Akin is around me, and for sure, Akin doesn't go around staring at my lips as Uthman does. I couldn't even count the number he has done that, in the library, by the pool, during our tutorial. And he told me I was pretty. Does Uthman like me?

Come on Jade, you're overthinking things. Why on earth will Uthman like me?

'But you want him to like you because you like him, is that not right?'

This stupid subconscious voice of mine. I'll murder it one of these days.

Of course, I don't like Uthman. Okay I know I don't dislike him as much as I used to but I don't like him, at least not like a girl likes a boy.

'But why do you crave for his presence? Why are you now so eager to talk with him?'

Just shut up, you ignorant subconscious mind.

*****

Hana and I got to school late the next day, we had gone to register for our Jamb. I picked the University of Ibadan like I've always wanted and I choose law. My dream is solidifying though I stop feeling down whenever I remember I won't have the badge of ECOWAS Oratory Contest attached to my name.

'Hey, how are you, girls?'

Akin asked us immediately after we got to school. It was lunch break and people were milling around. We joined Akin, he was going to the cafeteria.

'We're fine.'

'Did you miss us?'

Hana asked him as we entered the cafeteria.

'I sure did and I'm sure two other guys did.'

We both turned to look at him.

'I know Dan will miss me. I'm not sure we know the second guy you're talking about.'

Akin was staring at me.

'Well, I assumed there must at least a guy who will miss Jade.'

I hissed and we ordered our food. Hardly had we settled down then Uthman and Michelle entered the cafeteria. I watched them order their food. When they turned back, our eyes but he ignored me and they went to sit at the table far from us. I don't know why that makes me feel down. When I turned to look at my food, Akin was staring at me, a bemused expression on his face.