Number 406

Akira p.o.v
Hahaaaa! And immediately skid to a stop after that. Everyone is looking at me in a suspicious way. What the heck is wrong with them?
"Don't just run off..." Leorio also stops halfway through his sentence as he notices everyone is looking our way. "Strange atmosphere down here." He comments, looking wary around. I shrug and wave at a few guys.
"Hey, What are your names?" As I start walking to them, only to be stopped by Leorio. "What are you doing?!"
"They clearly differ from the Hunter applicants we saw at the port and in the city. Each is a master, in their own right..." Everyone is still glancing at us, maybe trying to figure us out? I don't know. What the heck do they want from us?
"Excuse me..." Gon says a bit uncertain, but the whole group just ignores him and turns away from us to start their conversations again. Okay, that's just straight up rude.
"Everyone's really tense."
"Hello. Please take a number." A small, green, slimy guy says to Leorio. He has number 403. "Here you go." He gives number 404 has Kura.
"Here." Gon got number 405. Is this it finally?
"And here. Be sure you wear this on your chest at all times. Be careful not to lose it." I hold the number in my hands, just looking at it. Number 406....
"Why aren't you wearing it on your chest?" Asks Gon behind me.
"Waah! Don't scare me like that!" I pout while turning to him. He just gives me a curious expression. "It's just...We're finally taking the exam. And I'm really glad that I'm with you guys." I give them all three a grin. Leorio and Kura blush a bit and turn away from me quickly.
"Haven't seen you guys around before. Yo." We all turn to the source of the voice.
It's fucking Tonpa! Shit!
"You can tell we're new?" Asks Gon, looking up at a small but stubby man. Yup, I'm outta here.
"More or less. After all, this will be my thirty-fifth attempt." He says it like he's proud of that fact.
"What the fuck?"
"Thirty-five times?!" The three guys say simultaneously while I just curse and look at him with an are-you-sure-you-are-at-the-right-place-? face.
"Well, you could say I'm an exam veteran." He jumps of the pipe he was sitting on. I cross my arms, a bit annoyed at his attitude. "Don't say it like you're proud of that fact." My voice is a bit accusing. The man sweat drops.
"Sorry, sorry. But if you have questions, feel free to ask me."
"Thank you."
"My name is Tonpa." He holds out his hand for Gon to shake it.
"I'm Gon. These are Kurapika, Leorio and Aki, short for Akira." He explains after he has shaking the man's hand. "Hey, are there others who have taken the exam a bunch of times like you?"
"Well, I have the most experience here, but there are a few others. For instance, there's him...Number 255, Todo, the wrestler." He points at a chubby guy, who's sitting down on the ground and eating. "He's unmatched in strength. And he's smarter than he looks. On the other side, we have number 103, Bourbon the snake charmer. He tends to hold grudges, so you don't want to end up on his bad side. And then...Number 191, Bodoro, the kung fu master. He's getting old, but there still isn't a better material artist around. Then you have the three brothers, Amori, Imori and Umori. They perform consistently well, thanks to their excellent teamwork. And number 384, Gerreta, the huntsman. He specializes in killing all manner of creatures, by blow dart and club. There are many more, but they've taken the test the most times." He explains with his stupid smile. I frown, and turn away glancing around to spot a well-known hair color.
"Ah.." There! And just in time. Another applicant bumps into him and continues with walking without apologizing. Oh, shit. His screams fill the air a second later. Everyone turns around to look who's screaming. The guy's arms are severed and removed from his body.
"Oh, how peculiar...His arms seem to have become flower petals. No smoke or mirrors here." They're all looking at him with a look of horror.
"Do take care. When you bump into someone you really should apologize." He smiles, and it isn't a pretty one. Holy moly, that escalated quickly. A small sweat drop slides down my temple. "That psychopath is back again." I glance at Tonpa. Sweat is dripping of him. He must be scared shitless, because he doesn't want to meet such a guy.
"Again?" It looks like Gon has been also sweating a bit. "Does that mean he took last year's exam?" Asks Leorio.
"Number 44, Hisoka, the magician. Last year, he was a virtual lock to pass the test, until he all killed an examiner he didn't like."
"Because he just didn't like the examiner?!" I exclaim, slapping a hand for my mouth and glance quickly at Hisoka if he heard me. If he doesn't like me....I have a huge chance of getting killed.
"A-And they're still allowing him to retake the exam this year?"
"Of course. Every year, the examiners and test content change. The devil himself could pass if that were the examiners' determination. That's just how the Hunter Exam works. Anyway, no one likes him. You should stay away, too." Tonpa goes on a long explanation again. I sigh. Are you done?
"He looks dangerous. That much-"
"I'm gonna say hello!" I grin, and run after him before someone else can say something. After all he's one of my favorite characters.
"Oi! Akira! Come back here!"

"I can't find him!" I whine, frustrated about not being able to find him. He just disappeared! Just...disappeared! A loud ringing noice scares the shit out of me. "Fuck!" A few people turn to look at me.
"I apologize for the wait. The entry for Hunter applicants has ended. The Hunter Exam will now begin!" An almost robotic voice says. He pauses.
"A final caution. If you're short on luck or ability. You could very well end up seriously injured or even dead. Those who accept the risks, please follow me. Otherwise, please exit via the elevator behind you." The atmosphere got even more tense. I gulp, feeling all of the sudden a bit nervous.
"Very well. All 405 applicants will participate in Phase One." He turns around, indicating we must follow him.
Someone hits me on the head. "Ow! Dammit!" I clutch my head, turning my head to look behind me. Leorio hit me, and there are Kura and Gon.
"Oh! Hey!"
"Don't hey us! We were worried!" Screams Leorio.
"Ah, you were worried, so nice of you." I smile teasingly, but focus immediately after on the examiner again. "We have to go." After I say that we quickly start to walk. "But Aki...You really shouldn't just run off." Says Gon slowly. I must've upset them too much.
"I'm sorry." I admit, feeling guilty. But turn to back to walking due to noticing something in the front.
"W-What? The people in the front started running." Exclaims Gon, also starting to run. "Shit man."
"He's picked up the pace." Kura concludes. I groan, running beside Kura and Leorio. "I neglected to introduce myself. I'm Satotz, the Phase One examiner. I shall lead you to the exam's Second Phase." He explains curtly, still running and us still following him. "Second Phase? What about Phase One?" A guy with weirdo eyebrows asks. What's his name again?
"You must follow me to Phase Two. This is the exam's First Phase." Yes, I know, but...I don't know how long I can run!
"Follow you? That's it?" Weird eyebrows asks again. "Yes. I cannot tell you where or when you must arrive. You need to follow me." The examiner repeats a bit of his words.
"I see how it is." I nod at Kura's words. Yes, I forgot a bit about it because it was a long time ago.
"This test is weird." Gon has a suspicious expression.
"I expect it's an endurance test. Fine by me. I'll be right behind you!" Leorio's smirk is full of confidence. Almost arrogance. I sweat drop and look to the side. It seems like Kura is in deep thought.
But there is the mental stress of not knowing how far we'll have to run. He's also testing our mental fortitude. He thinks, a little bit of worry seeping through his mind. Till it's dismissed by Akira running of to Weird eyebrows.
"Hey! Weird Eyebrows!"
"Don't call people you don't know by nicknames! And don't you dare-Akira!"