Prologue: Toni

Pain changes people, it makes them trust less, overthink more, and shut people out.

Zoey stared at the picture frame of her 5 year old son with tears running down her face. A year later and she still couldn't believe he was now gone. She let out a sigh once she felt her husband place his hands down on her shoulders.

 She let out a sigh once she felt her husband place his hands down on her shoulders

"Kenny please..." She groaned moving away from him.

"Zoey he's gone-"

"I know he's gone!" She snapped. "And if it weren't for my stupidity he'd still be here, in this house, in our lives..." She trailed off.

"I thought we're over this-"

"I'll never get over it." She spat.

Kenny shook his head in defeat, there was no way he would win this argument. Giving up, he tossed his hands into the air watching as she sat down pulling out a cigarette.

"You don't have to- you know what... go right ahead." Kenny surrendered. "I'm going to work." He said in irritation as he watched her.

"Whatever."

He shook his head walking off. He grabbed his coat and car keys, he glanced at her as she sat in her misery and smoked tossing his coat on and walked out.
_____________________________

"Mr Edmonds our new employee has just arrived." His assistant Noelle announced standing in the doorframe of his office door.

"Great. She's an hour late, but that's fine." He spoke not once looking up from his MacBook.

"So what should I do?" Noelle asked nervously.

"Send her in." Kenny said peeking up at her.

"Of course, I will do that now." She said in a duh tone smacking her lips rushing out.

Kenny shook his head as he typed down on his MacBook, being at work was his only escape from the misery at home. Zoey made it so hard at times, all he wanted was peace and for it to go back to the way it used to be. He gathered his thoughts before digging into his drawer pulling out the new employee's file, he scanned her credentials before he nodded setting it down onto his desk beside his MacBook.

"I'm so sorry, I know I'm late it's just that-"

"Have a seat." He said typing down on his MacBook not bothering to look up at her.

"O-kay..." She frowned doing as told.

She tossed her right leg over her left leg pulling her skirt over her knees and fixed her blazer looking around his office. She didn't really like the pastel.

"Your office looks so pale." She blurted out facing him who still hadn't looked up at her.

"You should really add some color, perhaps some blue and white-" She immediately cut herself off once he looked up at her.

He sat up and removed his glasses.

"Toni Braxton right?" He raised his eyebrows setting his glasses down on the table.

"Yes." She responded resting her hands down on her knees.

"I read over your credentials and it's outstanding." He said causing her to smile. "So I'll excuse your late coming for this time because we're really in need of a new graphic designer." Kenny said making her frown.

"I hope that this won't happen again." Kenny sternly said.

Toni quickly shook her head, "of course not mr Edmonds."

"Call me Kenny." He stated.

"Kenny." She repeated.

"Noelle!" He called.

Toni raised her eyebrows in confusion.

"Yes boss." Noelle said walking into his office.

"Noelle over here is my assistant, she is also your assistant now. She will be showing you the basics, like the company building and where your office is, where you will be able to generate your ideas." Kenny pointed.

Toni's eyes landed on his wedding band, she stared at it before she finally steered her attention from it looking behind her at Noelle.

"Hi, I'm Toni." She smiled standing up holding her hand out to Noelle.

"Hi come on let me show you around." Noelle said not bothering to shake her hand immediately turning around.

"I guess there's just a whole bunch of rude ass people working here than." Toni mumbled turning back around picking her bag up as her eyes landed on the picture of Kenny with his wife and son, she smiled.

"Is there a problem?" Kenny arched his brow once he realized she was still in his office.

She stood up straight and shook her head.

"No I was just looking at that picture, you have a beautiful family." She said pointing towards the picture.

He steered his attention from her onto the picture and frowned.

"Thank you." He nonchalantly responded facing her again and immediately their eyes met.

"Toni!" Noelle called.

Snapping away from it, she flashed him a small smile turning around.

"See you around, boss." She said walking out his office.

Kenny watched her, his eyes scanned her frame before it landed down onto her ass. He wiped out his eyes quickly looking away.

"Focus Kenneth." He scolded putting his glasses back on.