Chapter 2: I'm Your Doctor

Wang Yibo was sitting upon his bed, trying to listen to Xiao Zhan explain his current medical condition. Perhaps it's because he has just woken up, but Xiao Zhan's words just flew by his ears and he only retained "concussion, coma, muscle tension, and right knee injury". Even though he was not able to concentrate, Yibo couldn't take his gaze away from Xiao Zhan and found his voice very soothing. Before he realized it, Xiao Zhan was already exiting the room.

"Yibo, Wang Yibo!" Ji Li waved his hand in front of Yibo.

Returning to reality, Yibo turned to Ji Li, "When did you come in?"

Bewildered by Yibo's reaction, Ji Li turned to Hai Kuan, "Are we sure that he's ok?"

~~~~~

At the hospital canteen, staff, patients, and visitors were bustling in and out. Amongst the crowd was Xiao Zhan and Yubin, hidden in a corner table. Raising their utensils to take the first bite, a female doctor walked over and placed her food tray next to Yu Bin.

"How's the VIP floor treating the two of you," she asked.

"Jie-jie," Yu Bin greeted.

"Hi, Zoey. It's a lot nicer up there, but you know I'm not comfortable with such environments. I can't wait for this week to be over and return to our department."

Zoey rolled her eyes at Xiao Zhan's comment. "Only you would stray away from such luxury as if you didn't grow up with the Jiangs."

Xiao Zhan's parents died in a car crash when he was ten years old. Since they were close friends with Jiang Min, the current owner of Yunmeng Hospital, Xiao Zhan was adopted into the Jiang's after the funeral. While he treated the Jiang as his real family, he never adapted to the luxurious lifestyle nor abused their prominent background. He often avoided major events so few people knew that he was 'related' to the Jiang.

Once Xiao Zhan graduated high school, he moved out and started working to support himself. Zhuo Cheng soon followed and dragged Xiao Zhan into a two-bedroom apartment in which they resided through medical school. Even though Zhuo Cheng insisted that it was more convenient since they went to the same university, Xiao Zhan knew that it was the Jiangs' way of supporting him. What Xiao Zhan didn't know was that the monthly rent that he gave Zhuo Cheng was transferred into a savings account that his deceased parents left for him, per Jiang Min.

After medical school, Zhuo Cheng started working in the VIP department at Yunmeng Hospital. Xiao Zhan wanted to apply for another hospital since he didn't want to utilize any special treatment, especially since he doesn't have any blood relation to the Jiangs. After one week of being pestered by each Jiang family member, Xiao Zhan finally gave in when Dr. Cici Liu, head of the Internal Medicine Department, reached out to him. She first knew Xiao Zhan during his training days out in one of the rural clinics and appreciated his work ethic. She remembered that he expressed interest in Internal Medicine and one of her colleagues was retiring so there was a vacancy if Xiao Zhan was still interested. She reassured him that his connection with the Jiang re-exposed his existence to her, but there was nothing more than that. "I'm seeking a capable doctor who can take care of my patients, not to pamper a child of our President."

About half a year later, Meng Zoey and Yubin transferred in from another city. Yubin became Xiao Zhan's nurse while Zoey was a fellow Internal Medicine doctor.

"Hey, how's the famous Wang Yibo," Zoey whispered to the two men. Though discussing patients that weren't yours was prohibited, it still commonly occurred in a hush manner amongst colleagues.

"He just woke up and everything seems normal." Xiao Zhan replied in a low voice.

"..."

"That's it? This is the famous Er Wang-zi we're talking about and you are one of the lucky few to have direct contact with him! Don't you have any other comments?"

"I don't follow the entertainment world that much so he's no different than my other patients." Though he is quite attractive, Xiao Zhan thought.

"Ah~ what a waste. And here I was thinking 'What a good thing that A-Cheng is on a business trip, allowing you to attend to Wang Yibo!'"

"A-Cheng??" Xiao Zhan and Yu Bin repeated the name in unison but with a questioning tone.

"Since when did you two become so close?" Yu Bin scrutinized his beloved sister.

Noticing an incoming head slap, Yu Bin leaned towards his sister to present gossip material. "I did notice something interesting. From the moment that Wang Yibo woke up, he kept his eyes on Xiao Zhan until we left!"

Zoey glanced at Xiao Zhan. "Maybe he saw an angel and fell in love at first sight," Zoey teased.

Xiao Zhan rolled his eyes at these colleagues who love to gossip then returned to his meal.

~~~~~

Back in Yibo's room, Ji Li and Hai Kuan were relaying the events to Yibo again since Yibo couldn't focus the first time.

"Where is Zhuo Cheng?" Since Jiang Min was still a practicing doctor at the hospital, Zhuo Cheng doesn't mind his patients calling him by his given name to avoid confusion.

"He's away at a conference and won't return until next week," Ji Li replied.

Yibo nodded his head in silence then looked at his brother. "How's Father, Mother, and Uncle?"

"I just informed Uncle that you woke up. Father and Mother are on the returning flight so they might not have received my message. Uncle Su She (family's butler) will update them when he picks them up at the airport," Hai Kuan explained.

Ji Li and Yibo started discussing his work schedule since upcoming events needed to be canceled or moved to another time. Not wanting to interfere with their work, Hai Kuan stepped out of the room to make some business calls.

An hour later, Ji Li approached Hai Kuan in the VIP lounge. "You know, I was hoping for a 'dramatic change in personality' when he wakes up," Ji Li complained.

Hai Kuan smiled at Ji Li's ridiculous thought. "You've worked hard."

Ji Li signed, making a pitiful face. "Ay, since I don't have as much work the next few days, let's go out to dinner!"

Ji Li's older brother, Yi Zhou, was a close friend of Hai Kuan and they both worked at Gusu Highschool. Since Yi Zhou often doted on Ji Li, the three of them often hung out together. It was also from this relationship that exposed Ji Li to Yibo's talent and ended up becoming his manager.

"Alright. We haven't sat down and talked for a while since you and Yibo have been so busy the past half a year." Hai Kuan replied.

The two said their goodbyes and Hai Kuan returned to Yibo's room. Since Yibo seemed to be stable, Hai Kuan decided to head back to school to finish his work.

As Hai Kuan walked towards the door, Yibo had a sudden thought and asked, "Da-ge, what was the name of that doctor?"

"Dr. Zhan? His full name is Xiao Zhan," Hai Kuan replied. He watched Yibo's expression and told himself to mark this moment down.

Even though Yibo's expression has not changed much, only his family members can differentiate his various moods with the most subtle muscle changes. At this time, Yibo has a look of intrigue which was a rarity even for Hai Kuan. His younger brother treated everyone equally, regardless of age or gender. Being a smart, talented and handsome man, Yibo has his fair share of admirers even before becoming famous. Unfortunately, Hai Kuan has yet to see Yibo develop any interest in another human ...until today. Perhaps, Hai Kuan thought. After all, he has to admit that Dr. Xiao was a very attractive man.