Chapter 25: Unspoken Words

It has been seven minutes, eleven seconds, and counting since Xiao Zhan sat down across from Cheng Xiao's Mother, Mrs. Yu. The last time either one spoke was to place their drink orders. The cafe Mrs. Yu picked was near Yunmeng, but it was a high-class cafe that lured in the VIP patients. Xiao Zhan never even thought about stepping near this building, yet here he was, ordering some imported tea that cost more than his regular meals.

Xiao Zhan took another sip of his tea, preparing to speak up before he was late for his shift. Perhaps Mrs. Yu sensed his thought for she sliced through the silence, "You know about Cheng Xiao and Yibo's relationship?"

"Huh," was all that Xiao Zhan could verbalize. Was it a statement or a question?

Mrs. Yu's pupils hounded in on him as she continued. "They've known each other since childhood. Aside from family members, Cheng Xiao gets along with Yibo the most."

"That list has expanded," Xiao Zhan retorted, surprising both Mrs. Yu and himself. Xiao Zhan was not this disrespectful to his elders. Swallowing back whatever was riling up in his chest, Xiao Zhan's guilt impelled him to apologize for his tone but it was too late.

The formality facade was wiped off Mrs. Yu's face as she openly scoffed at Xiao Zhan. The eyes that looked back at him were saying, you finally showed your true color.

"Yibo's parents adore my Cheng Xiao," her tone now was of a proud mother who was placing her daughter on a pedestal, showing off to the world; to Xiao Zhan. "She frequently gets invited for family dinners and events. Cheng Xiao always tells me how Mrs. Wang loves teaching her family recipes so she can cook for Yibo in the future."

Xiao Zhan felt a sting in his right palm. He didn't realize that he was clenching his fist so hard that his nail broke through the skin.

Mrs. Yu lifted the teacup to her lips. "We're planning a wedding," she peered at Xiao Zhan over the rim and took a sip.

Xiao Zhan froze in place: his movements, his thoughts, his breathing. The world seemed to fade away, but Mrs. Yu's words continued to penetrate his brain.

"We've always expected the two of them to get married someday. It was just a matter of finding a break in both of their hectic schedules." Mrs. sighed. "The lives of celebrities: traveling from one place to another, ending one project and starting a new, all while under the watchful eyes of the world. You know how it is."

I don't.

"Or maybe you don't." She commented when Xiao Zhan didn't reply. "I've heard about you, Dr. Xiao. Not blood-related, but you grew up with the Jiangs."

Don't. With the mention of the Jiangs, Xiao Zhan's chest pain suddenly calmed as a defensive sort of anger took over.

"You've appeared now and then for private events, but it seemed like your connection with the Jiangs was purposely kept in the dark."

"They are kind people who provided a helping hand to a child in need. My life is my responsibility." Don't drag them into the mud.

"You don't want the status," Mrs. Yu sincerely questioned. She doesn't know the full story of why Xiao Zhan's relationship with the Jiangs hasn't been well-known and assumed that he was trying to obtain a different supporter through Yibo.

"I'm just a simple man."

What a surprise this was for Mrs. Yu. Then why did he approach Yibo? Perhaps... Mrs. stopped her thoughts from wandering off track. She reminded herself why she was here and the battle already began. She couldn't falter her resolves now.