Chapter 30: Spoiled by People Who Loves You

Seasons may change, but people don't.

A poetic phrase that is often used in literature and music pieces to pull on the heart-strings, providing hope and comfort. In reality, the thing that doesn't change in humans is bad habits. Even when you know it's not beneficial, it is detrimental; humans are fools who continue to repeat the action until it becomes a part of their existence.

What does constantly change is the ability to adapt and alter ourselves to be better people. That can change faster than the seasons and that was what terrified Yibo the most.

What if.

What if Xiao Zhan's disconnection from Yibo was the better decision.

Yibo hated this possessive side of him in which he rather has Xiao Zhan kept his bad habit that was Wang Yibo and stayed by his side forever. He doesn't want Xiao Zhan to make the "proper" choice and leave him behind.

Yibo can count the few rash decisions that he has made in life on one hand. Walking out of Xiao Zhan's apartment would be on the top of the list. Barely a week later, Yibo was about to make another.

The race that Yibo told Xiao Zhan about wasn't a trivial event. It was a preliminary round to determine who will represent Beijing to fight amongst other cities in China and then the world. There was high expectation that Wang Yibo will claim one of the spots and Yibo was confident to obtain that seat. The problem was that his heart was not in the right place.

Instead of waking up to the excitement of the competition, imagining himself on the race track during the drive to the stadium, or feeling perspiration on his palms as he pulled his tracksuit on; Yibo was only hearing, seeing, and feeling the presence of another human that was about to fly to a far, far place. Yibo understood well that if he walked away now, he was letting go of his seat for the whole year. In the past, that would have been an abysmal thought. Right now, it didn't even matter.

As much as he loved the adrenaline the competition gave him, he'll trade it all for a moment with Xiao Zhan. This wasn't some romantic spiel, it was a well-thought-out declaration. Even if he gave up the sport, he can always speed down the road on his bike because that he can control. Xiao Zhan was not his property or anyone. Once he left, Yibo can only wish that the comfort Xiao Zhan provided will never fade.

Yibo set his helmet down, apologized to his coach, and ran. Not away the from race, from his career, from his fans, or his life: He was running towards his future, his love, his present, his home.

Please don't change how you quiver under my touch, how your heart accelerates to my kiss. Please don't adapt to a happiness that doesn't have me within reach. Please, this one habit, please don't let it go.

                                                                                                  ~~~~~

It was only minutes before the race so everyone's eyes should be on the track. The commotion should only occur seconds after someone realized that Wang Yibo was no longer part of the line-up. The rile from the fans should only appear after Yibo's vehicle has long disappeared from the parking lot.

But reality rarely played out like expectations. This was a grand event involving one of the biggest entertainers in the country. Of course, there were cameras on stand-by for any possibilities, particularly seeking the presence of a certain doctor who might appear to watch his not-so-secret lover win the race.

Again, contrary to that expectation, what was caught on camera was the racer storming out of the stadium and exiting the gait before the race began.