Chapter 4: F4

***This is my first novel so comments and critiques are welcomes (as long as they are civilized). Of course, a simple 'star' does the job too :3. 

Chapter 4: F4

Later that afternoon, Hai Kuan came by with his husband, Zan Jin, and two children, Guo Cheng and Jun Xiang. "Uncle Yibo," the two boys greeted in excitement.

Hai Kuan and Zan Jin have known each other since childhood and became lovers in high school. They got married when they were twenty-one years old and had Guo Cheng through surrogacy. Seven years later, while visiting an adoption center after donating to the facility, they fell in love with seven-year-old Jun Xiang and decided to adopt him. Since Jun Xian and Guo Cheng were the same age and knew each other at such a young age, there was no difference in their interactions compared to blood-related siblings.

"What are you two doing here," Yibo inquired.

"Today's a half-day so we asked Father to bring us here," Guo Cheng answered.

"We were worried about you, but haven't been able to visit. How are you feeling?" Jun Xiang followed.

"There's no need to worry. I'm alright now." Yibo answered while giving both boys their special handshakes. As family members and children, Yibo does express more emotions towards them. However, it came in the form of secret signals and athletic activities since he was the "cool" uncle.

"We snuck in some real food for you," Zan Jin lifted two large bags.

"I hope that's not all for me," Yibo bluntly commented.

Not understanding the sarcasm, Guo Cheng retorted back, "The chicken is MINE!"

Jun Xiang smacked Guo Cheng's head in embarrassment. Thank goodness we're not blood-related.

"It's still early, do you have any plans after this," YIbo inquired.

Zan Jin raised his hand to answer, a habit the boys developed to decrease the time they speak over each other. "Our classmates are at the hospital right now and we agreed to meet up and work on our school project."

"Are they sick?"

The boys shook their heads. "He's not sick. His aunt and uncle work here and he often stays here when they both work overtime," Guo Cheng replied.

"The other one is the grandchild of this hospital's owner," Zan Jin finished Guo Cheng's thought.

Yibo nodded in acknowledgment, but not understanding how a child can just stay at the hospital like that. However, it wasn't his business so there was no need to ask anymore.

~~~~~

"Aunt Zoey," a fourteen-year-old teenager walked into the Internal Medicine department.

"Fan Xing, have you had lunch yet?"

"Not yet. I was heading to the canteen after greeting you," Fan Xing answered.

"Switch the money card I gave you last time with this, I just loaded this card this morning."

Fan Xing took the new card and looked around the office. "Where's Uncle Zhan and Bin?"

Zoey raised one eyebrow, "Yu Bin is going to be really sad if he hears that you prioritized Xiao Zhan before your blood-related uncle."

Fan Xing scratched his head in embarrassment.

"They're covering for another doctor in a different department this week. I'll let Xiao Zhan know you're here."

Fan Xing smiled and left the department.

Zoey signed in resignation, "What a charming prince. Capturing everyone's hearts, even my cute nephew!"

Fan Xing's parents were long-distance relatives of Zoey and Yu Bin. After their death, no other relatives were willing to care for the child so the siblings decided to take on the task. Fortunately, Fan Xing was a smart and well-mannered child so the siblings had little problems raising a child with zero parental knowledge.

When they relocated to Beijing, Zoey and Yu Bin would have a few evening shifts together every month. With support from Xiao Zhan and Zhuo Cheng, they were able to obtain permission for Fan Xing to stay on the hospital ground after school was over. Through these occasions, Fan Xing was introduced to Xiao Zhan and formed a favorable relationship. For those who don't know, they may mistake Fan Xing as Xiao Zhan's family instead of Zoey or Yu Bin.

~~~~~

At the canteen, Fan Xing was standing in line when another boy tapped his shoulder. "Were you able to see your grandpa," Fan Xing asked after seeing the other person's face.

The other boy, Pei Xin nodded his head. While the Wang siblings were here to visit Yibo and Fan Xing was here due to his family's schedule, Pei Xin's presence at this hospital was not abnormal since his Mother, Xuan Lu was the eldest child of the Jiang household.

Fan Xing, Pei Xin, Guo Cheng, and Jun Xiang were classmates at Gusu middle school and were electively named "F4". As expected, when a group project was given, the four boys formed a team. Since today was a half-day, and three of the boys were expected to be at Yunmeng hospital, they decided to meet up to work on their project.

After everyone had their lunch, the boys gathered at the main cafeteria and claimed a large table in the far corner to keep from disrupting staff and visitors for the next few hours. Before they even warmed their seats, two familiar figures walked into the cafe.

"Uncle X...Yubin. Uncle Yubin, Uncle Xiao, we're over here," Fan Xing corrected his order.

Yu Bin pointed his finger in accusation, "Jiejie told me, you traitor."

Xiao Zhan inquired while paying for their drinks.

Fan Xing looked away in embarrassment, avoiding Yu Bin's glare. Pei Xin noticed the situation and stepped in to save the day. "Uncle Xiao!"

"Pei Xin, you didn't tell me that you were going to be here today."

Being the grandson of the Jiang household, Pei Xin naturally knew of Xiao Zhan's connection to the family and treated him as a real uncle. One common feature that Pei Xin shared with Fan Xing was that he also favored this non-blood related uncle over his real one.

"It was a last-minute thing. These are my two classmates," Pei Xin pointed to Guo Cheng and Jun Xiang, "and they came to visit their uncle today so we decided to meet up to work on our project."

"Hello," the siblings stood up to greet the two uncles.

"Uncle Xiao, are you free tonight," Pei Xin inquired.

Xiao Zhan nodded his head. "I should be done at five."

"You should come over for dinner. Mother has been saying how she hasn't seen you for a month."

"I've been busy lately," Xiao Zhan bit his lip in guilt. "I'll tell Jiejie that I'll stop by for dinner. Fan Xing, is this the project that you asked me for help last time?"

"Yes Uncle Xiao," Fan Xing beamed when Xiao Zhan spoke to him.

Noticing Fan Xing's excitement, Pei Xin couldn't help but nudged Fan Xing out of jealousy. Jealousy of the fact that Xiao Zhan was his uncle of course.

Once Xiao Zhan and Yu Bin's drinks were ready, the adults left the children to focus on their school work.