Chapter 31: Contemplation

The second day that Xiao Zhan left, Yibo met up with another woman. It was a necessary rendezvous for the promiscuous relationship that needed to be confronted and clarified. Yibo was still greedy and hoped that he doesn't lose this important person in his life. He simply can't lead her on anymore for the outrageous reason that was possession.

The week after Xiao Zhan's departure, Yibo held a press conference to addressed the wedding that was never going to occur and his sudden absence from the race. Yes, he would not be participating this season. Yes, it was a reckless decision. No, he does not regret his action for what he needed to do was more important.

A full thirty day passed by, but Yibo felt like it has at least three hundred and sixty-five. It's strange how Yibo used the excuse of having a busy schedule to justify why it took him so long to address the wedding by the time Xiao Zhan learned about it; yet when he was forced over the edge, every loose end was burnt off within a week. Now, there was nothing he could do but wait.

Xiao Zhan, on the other hand, kept himself mentally occupied with providing medical services (plus any handi-work that the older folks needed help with) to the small village deep in the mountains. Zhuo Cheng would return to YunMeng a few days a month to work on his other projects, allowing Xiao Zhan to carry out his title of 'assistant'. There were times where Xiao Zhan gave in and attempted to seek out information about the modern world, but Zhuo Cheng had long mastered the art of pretending that Xiao Zhan was air. The whole crew was also threatened with additional manual labor if they dared hiccuped anything.

The scorching days turned breezy as the leaves offered to soak up the blazing tones of summer. The Mid-Autumn festival arrived unexpectedly to the crew since they were knee-deep in patient care. As an appreciation for their services, the village held a banquet to show their gratitude.

A few hours into the drunken mess, Xiao Zhan removed himself and sat down at the edge of the river bridge. Though the background noise of the small gathering can be heard a mile away, Xiao Zhan was oddly encased in a silent globe as he watched the lanterns drifted farther into the atmosphere. It was the image of a certain youngster that had blurred out Xiao Zhan's surroundings.

Are you also watching the lanterns floating in the night sky? Are you looking at the same moon? Xiao Zhan laughed at his romanticizing thoughts.

They say 'you don't know what you have until it's gone'. Xiao Zhan understood this saying well at a young age when he lost his parents. Here he was at the age of 29 and revisit the idea.

They've only met barely half a year ago, started dating for only a few months, and now he felt like a part of him was missing. Was this what people who fell in love at first sight and crazily got married a few months later experienced? Xiao Zhan used to think that such a story mainly occurred to the youngins who jumped into the unknown without a care, but here he was... in a way, he could say that he was hauled in by such a youngster.

Xiao Zhan caught a disturbance in the stream, his eyes landed on a fish that was flowing along with the peaceful current. Maybe it's time for me to step on land. Xiao Zhan smiled at the thought. Oh, how he has changed, how Yibo has changed him.

Every day from then on, Xiao Zhan would reserve a moment to reflect on their relationship from the beginning. Since he wasn't able to put in the same effort as Yibo, he wanted to ruminate on all that has been done for him and how much he took for granted.

The leaves continued to darken its tone each day, withering away the misunderstandings between Xiao Zhan and Yibo with the season. When the damages have been patched and inner turmoils have been faced, the first speck of snow crystallized, marking the beginning of a new chapter.