Chapter 18: School Festival - Part I

The Gusu educational system was well-known throughout China as Beijing's most elite program. Even Though a majority of the students were from wealthy families, the Gusu founders always supported those who worked hard and proved their abilities regardless of class. To gain a seat in any of their schools, from primary to university levels, applicants had to prove their academic capabilities through one week of examinations on Gusu ground. This allowed educators to evaluate the students in person instead of reading a stack of resumes that were nothing more than pretty words. It also provided opportunities for those who weren't well off to build a presentable academic background.

At the end of this vigorous week was a festival held by current high school and college students to celebrate with the applicants for surviving such a hellish period. Regardless of the results, if you tried your best then you deserved a little festivity. This year, the theme was the 'Japanese Festival'.

Being a member of the Wang and alumni of Gusu, Yibo was no stranger to this annual event. However, he never paid more attention to it besides performing his tasks as a student or a performer once he graduated. This year was no different...until he remembered that Xiao Zhan's nephews (Fan Xing practically considered Xiao Zhan a relative) was also Gusu students which meant that Xiao Zhan could show up to the festival which meant that Yibo could spend some time with Xiao Zhan which meant that they can have a date!

With such forceful connections tied together, Yibo pulled out his phone: How to get a date - Wang Yibo edition.

[WYB: Zhan-ge, are you attending Gusu High Festival on Saturday?

Zhan-ge: Yes, I'm taking Pei Xin & Fan Xing since the adults are busy

WYB: What a coincidence, I also have children to chauffeur!

WYB: Shall we meet up and have a date?]

On Xiao Zhan's end, he was debating whether he should expose Yibo's blatant lies. Granted that most of the Wangs could be busy with tending the festival considering that they were Gusu owners and staff. However, it also meant that there were plenty of eyes to watch the two boys who probably saw the school as their second home. When Xiao Zhan lays out the facts in his head, he realized that Yibo will just say something even more unreasonable so why seek out trouble?

[Bo-di: Zhan-ge?

Bo-di: If you don't answer then I'll ask you again in person tomorrow

XZ: Alright! We'll meet up for the festival]

Xiao Zhan doesn't want any more materials for Zoey and Yubin to torture him with.

~~~~~

On the afternoon of the festival, Xiao Zhan arrived at the Meng's apartment to pick up Fan Xing before heading to Cao's residence.

"Remind me again why both the aunt and uncle can't take care of their nephew," Xiao Zhan asked while rubbing Fan Xing's head affectionately.

"Because you need more reasons to go on a date," Zoey hollered from her bedroom, causing Xiao Zhan to paused his motion and Fan Xing nodded his head discreetly.

Unfortunately for Fan Xing, Xiao Zhan was able to feel the movement since they still had contact which earned him a little glare for the betrayal. Fan Xing looked up with puppy eyes and whispered, "You're my favorite."

"Traitor!" Yubin came up from behind and pushed Fan Xing's head down.

"Love you uncle Yubin," Fan Xing shouted back and ran towards the door. Before he fully disappeared, he turned around for one last snitch, "Have fun on your dateSSS!"