Chapter 15: Breaking the Ice

Yibo had rushed to Yunmeng Hospital in distress; he now also left in the same state, only it was for a different reason. He was starting to question his sanity since every time he left Xiao Zhan's side, he would experience various emotions that had no rationale behind them.

With his feelings in disarray, Yibo didn't leave any room for Cheng Xiao to interact with him during the ride. Once they arrived at the Yu residence, he mindlessly turned around once he dropped her off at the front door. Fortunately for Cheng Xiao, her mother was present to invite him in for dinner. Since he hasn't visit her parents in a long time, the guilt anchored him at the house that evening.

While waiting for Cheng Xiao to clean-up, Yibo pulled out his phone and messaged Xiao Zhan. During the car ride, Yibo was most uncomfortable with the fact that he wasn't able to talk to Xiao Zhan before he left. Though he doesn't know what they should discuss, he simply felt that things will get complicated if he doesn't reach out to Xiao Zhan tonight.

[WYB: Thanks for taking care of Xiao-Xiao Cheng Xiao.

Zhan-ge: It is a part of my job :-)

WYB: I know she specifically requested for you even though it's not your department. Sorry for any trouble she has caused

Zhan-ge: Not a problem, not a problem at all. A patient is a patient no matter the circumstances

Zhan-ge: You two are close huh?

WYB: As a sister. Like I said before, we grew up together so we all spoil her like a princess]

Yibo waited for a reply, but none came after a few minutes, making him anxious. Little did he knew, Xiao Zhan was smiling in relief.

[WYB: You and Dr. Meng seems closed

Zhan-ge: Ai, I already told you that we're just co-workers

WYB: You may say that, but does she think the same?

Zhan-ge: ...

Zhan-ge: It's Zhuo Cheng that Zoey is interested in

Zhan-ge: Well, more like he's chasing after her and she's playing hard-to-get]

Now it was Yibo's turn to pause the conversation and let Xiao Zhan hang in the dark for a few minutes.

[Zhan-ge: Are you still there?

WYB: :-) :-) :-) ]

When Cheng Xiao returned to the living room, she felt relieved to see that Yibo's demeanor has changed. Walking closer, she noticed his focus was on his phone and the gentle smile as if the item was the most precious treasure in the world. This reminded her of previous episodes in which Yibo seemed to radiate differently when he was messaging someone. Now that she knew who that other person was, Cheng Xiao felt more defeated than annoyed jealousy.

"Ge-ge," Cheng Xiao called.

"Oh, you're done."

"Mn... Mother said dinner is ready."

"Ok," Yibo replied and walked towards the dining room.

Cheng Xiao stood in place as Yibo walked past her. She doesn't understand how things have changed between them, how it turned out like this. She has been chasing Yibo for all these years, taking things one step at a time because she knew how walled off Yibo was from everyone. She tried her best not to be too attached and gave him as much space as possible. Her main driving force was for him to open up to her, even just a little, even just half a step...

So why? Why does all of her hard work seem so pointless? How were decades of feelings so easily washed away by someone that only appeared two months ago? Why... what was she lacking?