Chapter 7: The First Text Message

Mr. Wang and Su She (the Wang's family butler) arrived at the hospital around noon to pick up Yibo. He started living on his own once he turned twenty-one, but Mrs. Wang wanted him to return to the main house until he was medically cleared in all aspects. Since most of his activities have been postponed, he took the opportunity to reconnect with his family.

"Your mother is preparing all of your favorite dishes for dinner," Mr. Wang commented when he saw Yibo trying to find another presence when they entered his room.

Yibo nodded his head in acknowledgment. "Can we stop by my apartment first? I need to grab some items there."

"That's fine, that's fine," Mr. Wang replied as Su She carried Yibo's bags to the car.

By the time the three men finally arrived at the Wang estate, it was already six in the evening. Stepping into the house, Yibo gained a sense of tranquility like a load of weight has been lifted off his shoulders. Since he grew up in this house and was surrounded by people that knew him the most, Yibo was always grateful to have such a home base to return to. He took a deep breath to re-familiarize himself with the scent and was greeted with the vast aromas of food. A smile crept across his face as he walked towards the kitchen, ready to greet his beloved mother.

"Gege," a young female walked through the kitchen door.

Slightly startled by Cheng Xiao's presence in his home, Yibo couldn't help but ask, "What are you doing here?"

"...Gege, you're not going to start asking me this every time, are you?" Cheng Xiao felt disheartened with Yibo's attitude towards her. "I heard you were discharged from the hospital today so I came over to celebrate."

"She's here to help me prepare your favorite dishes," Mrs. Wang defended Cheng Xiao as if Yibo was scolding her.

"Oh. Thank You," Yibo replied as he walked towards his mother to give her a hug.

Cheng Xiao pouted when she didn't receive a hug nor another word from Yibo when he walked towards the living room.

Yibo took one step into the living when two boys jumped out and threw confetti at him. "Welcome home uncle Yibo!"

Yibo was less surprised by these two sudden presences since he thought the house was too quiet for them to be home. Yibo purposely closed his eyes and stood in silence, waiting to see how the boys would react.

Guo Cheng and Jun Xiang froze in place, waiting for Yibo to say or do something, but became confused when there was no reaction. They both approached Yibo to check if he was alright. "You two better pick up all the pieces or grandma might not make you any deserts for the next few days," Yibo teased.

The boys widened their eyes at the realization. "I told you we shouldn't use confetti," Jun Xiang yelled at Guo Cheng.

"But...but," Guo Cheng stammered and turned his head to Yibo, almost teary eyes. "You're better and you're finally home after so long. We wanted to celebrate."

"Yibo, you're making the kids cry." Zan Jin interfered with Yibo's teasing before Guo Cheng started crying. Gods know how Hai Kuan and he created a child that cherished food more than life.

Hearing his cue to stop, Yibo rubbed the two boy's head and showed a sly smile. "Thank You," he whispered.

Though feeling quite wronged and disgruntled at having to clean up the mess, the boys were happy to see their uncle's smile. They were aware of Yibo's nickname as the cold-prince and made it a challenge to see how often they can get the prince to showcase various expressions. Their favorite was always his warm smiles since Yibo and their father were both extremely handsome men.