Chapter 21: School Festival Part IV

"Zhan-ge!" Yibo pounced off his seat the moment the classroom door opened.

"Yibo. When did you come back," Xiao Zhan asked as Yibo pulled him away from Chuyue's side.

"Not long ago," Yibo replied while glaring at Chuyue, clearly accusing him of kidnapping his doctor.

Chuyue simply smiled at Wang-er gongzi's childishness. "We went to rehearse," he tried to defend himself.

"Hmph." If this was the ancient time and Yibo was wearing a long-sleeve, he would have flicked his arm in annoyance. But this wasn't. So, Yibo simply flicked his vision away from Chuyue instead.

Xiao Zhan gave an apologetic glance to Chuyue who shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly.

Yibo was planning to stay in the room and guard Xiao Zhan, but their reunion was cut short when a backstage crew student ran towards them. "Chuyue," the student tried to catch her breath.

"What's up?"

"Aish," the student held back a curse. "They were supposed to keep you backstage for hair and makeup," she turned to Xiao Zhan, "and tried on the stage outfit. You're about the same build so hopefully, the outfit fits."

"She's talking about my friend, the one you're replacing," Chuyue clarified.

Xiao Zhan nodded his head in acknowledgment. "Let's go back then."

"Sorry for the confusion, and thank you for helping out," she apologized to Xiao Zhan.

Xiao Zhan turned to Yibo. "I'll see you backstage then," he asked to both confirm and seek reassurance that Yibo will be present to ease his nerves later on.

Yibo understood the later implication and smiled softly at Xiao Zhan. "Mn," he promised.

Xiao Zhan then walked away with the two students, having more courage than before.

The female student, however, wanted to take one more look at Wang-er gonzi considering how she just witnessed a heavenly expression that has never appeared on TV before. Unfortunately, what she captured was the normal icy indifference face with a touch of menace towards the people who just lured his treasure away. Again!

                                                                                             ~~~~~

Another hour went by and the stage was set. The normally enclosed concert hall lowered its walls and turned the venue into an outdoor stadium. As the sun rays dawned over the land, the campus lights of Gusu flickered on with a domino effect towards the stadium. Being the brightest spot within a five-mile radius, it became the guiding light for the lost souls.

As the audience excitements were escalating to the point of boiling over, the crowd still ventured in with organized lines and a moderate pace. This was Gusu and order was always in place until it was appropriate to do otherwise. "When is it appropriate," some new students asked and the answer was, "When the performance takes your breath away."

This phenomenon was put into position right from the opening performance for the change in itinerary resulted in Wang Yibo being the first performer.

The moment the clock tower chimed for nine p.m., the stadium lights shutdown, silencing the audience in preparation for the show.

A single drum beat thundered in the soundless night.

The audience took a breath, waiting for the next signal.

Another beat sounded.

Then another followed.

And the last one played as lightning flashed through the land.