Chapter 29: Just a Coward

Author's Note: Thanks for everyone's patient! Here's a long piece to make up for it. 

Bravery: It is defined as the ability to face your fear and gaining the courage to fight the battle. What bravery does not define is having a strong mental mindset or tactics to come out unscathed. Those who have the later abilities are grandmasters who don't have any fear.

Xiao Zhan was a simple, down-to-earth guy who has no desire to become virtuous. Therefore, he lacked the mental strength and had no strategies that were needed to face Wang Yibo at this time. Xiao Zhan was simply a coward.

"Zhan-ge," that was all Xiao Zhan needed to foresee the futile outcome.

Xiao Zhan wasn't trying to eavesdrop. It's just in this quiet apartment of his, it was hard to ignore Zhuo Cheng's nagging screeched from Yibo's phone. Xiao Zhan found it hard to imagine why Zhuo Cheng contacted his patient, Yibo especially. Then he remembered the incident with the reporters from earlier and assumed the news has spread. It must be really severe for Zhuo Cheng to be so unprofessional towards a 'client'.

The worst part was hearing Yibo respond, "Lady, what lady." Xiao Zhan was praying that his brother wouldn't rat him out, but then that asshole was the perfect traitor.

"Zhan-ge, who's the 'lady'?"

"Cheng Xiao's mother, Mrs. Yu." Xiao Zhan no longer dodged the topic. He was already trapped in the corner with no outlets to escape.

Yibo''s brows furrowed into a thin line. "What did she want from you?" He doesn't understand what Mrs. Yu had to do with Xiao Zhan, or why she would even approach him. Then, it dawned on Yibo: The wedding. That damn wedding!

"You already know about the wedding," Yibo stated instead of questioning Xiao Zhan. "She told you about it, didn't she."

Xiao Zhan recoiled at Yibo's deduction. Even though Xiao Zhan was slightly irked by the fact that Yibo hasn't brought up the topic himself; right now, Xiao Zhan felt like he was in the wrong for hiding his tryst.

Yibo noticed Xiao Zhan's minute reaction and thought the older man was displeased with him, causing Yibo to panic. "Ge, I didn't know! Not until recently... I just found out that my Mother and Mrs. Yu was secretly planning the wedding behind our backs. I swear, I had no part in this and Cheng Xiao probably doesn't know either." Probably.

Yibo has been taking steady steps toward Xiao Zhan, afraid that the man may jump out of the balcony if he's too hasty. When he was closed enough, Yibo reached towards Xiao Zhan's fingers. "Zhan-ge," Yibo grasped onto their connection with everything he had, using the most delicate touch to keep Xiao Zhan calm. "I wasn't trying to hide it from you. I just didn't think you should be bothered by it because there is no relationship between Cheng Xiao and I. I was planning to fix this mess... but it was all wishful thinking." Yibo cast his eyes downward in shame, "I'm sorry."

Yibo finally spoke up, he finally revealed his position in this wedding scheme; but instead of relief, something else stirred in Xiao Zhan. Perhaps it was because he knew neither of them would depart this place in one piece, thus he gained the courage to ask questions that have been buried away.

"Do you like her?'"

Yibo jolted his eyes to Xiao Zhan.

"Do you like her," Xiao Zhan asked again.

Yibo was about to protest because he just said that there was no relationship between them. Why doesn't Xiao Zhan believe him?

"You don't love her," Xiao Zhan ceased Yibo's retaliation, "but do you like her?" Xiao Zhan paused, giving Yibo a moment to process what he was trying to highlight.