Chapter 23: The Parents

Solemn footsteps resonated down the hallway of Yu's mansion. The office door creaked open and Mrs. Yu stepped in. Mr. Yu looked up at her, rubbing his temple in exhaustion. "How is she?"

"Asleep now."

Mr. Yu signed, contemplating on what he should do next to help his precious daughter. As a parent, he wasn't one to fully indulge and protect her from all the cruelties of the world. Hell, if that was his goal, he failed miserably when he allowed her to enter the entertainment world. With that being said, it didn't mean that he didn't step in and prevent further damage when he found out that his daughter was in harm's way. In this case, the injury was much deeper.

"This 'Xiao Zhan", A-Xiao asked my assistant to look into his background a month ago."

Mrs. Yu furrowed her brows because she didn't understand why her daughter would make such a request. She has never known Cheng Xiao to be one who wanted to peer into other's past.

"A-Xiao and Yibo ... are they truly together," Mr. Yu questioned. Someone was clearly a third party and Mr. Yu was hoping it was this man.

"Of course! How can you question that? Don't you see and hear how well Yibo treats A-Xiao and how in love she is with him? Mrs. Wang and I have been preparing for their wedding even!"

Makes sense. It wasn't that Mr. Yu didn't notice how Yibo rarely visits them or how he addressed them very formally. Mr. Yu just assumed it's due to his busy schedule and that Yibo was naturally a reserved man. On the other hand, he heard way too many times how much his A-Xiao adored this man and Mrs. Wang treated her like a daughter-in-law. So naturally, it wasn't abnormal for Mr. Yu to assumed that YiXiao was real.

If that's the case, then was Yibo cheating on A-Xiao, or was this Xiao Zhan trying to lure Yibo away? "We need to clear this mess up before A-Xiao's life gets ruined."

Mrs. Yu nodded her head. "I'll contact Mrs. Wang."

~~~~~

"Yibo, what is the meaning of this," Mr. Wang slammed a stack of newspapers onto the desk, glaring disappointedly at his son on the other side.

Yibo simply stood there quietly, neither acknowledging nor agreeing to the headlines.

"Father, they are just the normal rumors that appear every now and then. You shouldn't let them affect you," Hai Kuan tried to cover for Yibo.

"Hai Kuan," Mr. Wang signed. "I normally ignore them and did until Mrs. Yu called last night in anger at how Cheng Xiao is heartbroken and 'how could we do this before the wedding'!"

Yibo and Hai Kuan's head snapped over at Mr. Wang, "Wedding?!"

Uh oh. Mr. Wang forgot that the two mothers were keeping their plan a surprise.

"Father," Yibo questioned in a very, very low voice; eyes glaring at Mr. Wang like a hawk. Even though he was the head of the family, Mr. Wang has occasions where he submitted to his family members. One such involved his normally solemn son sounding, looking, and exuding pure anger. As a result, Mr. Wang spilled the bean on the secret wedding.

Mrs. Wang happened to walk into the room at the end of Mr. Wang's explanation, thus receiving a restrained glare from her youngest. Startled by sudden emotion and such emotions from her own child, Mrs. Wang stuttered, "W-what?"

Yibo tried to soothe his anger by taking several deep breaths as Hai Kuan rubbed circles on his back.

"Mother," Hai Kuan spoke up first. "You should have asked Yibo and Cheng Xiao first."