Chapter 9

A day after the incident, the team finally left after confirming that Gatou has died. Sakura was in a much better shape to move as well. With Gatou dead, Tazuna wouldn't need to worry about being targeted. Because it was a long journey home, Neji decided to carry Sakura on his back. She did deny at first, but along the way, the injuries were taking a toll on her.

Her arms were loosely wrapped around his neck and his hands gripped her thigh. It was a little embarrassing to have him carry her like this, especially when both of them bicker quite frequently.

After what seemed like forever, they finally arrived at the gates of their village. The pinkette had already fallen asleep because doing nothing was certainly boring.

"Neji, bring her home." Kakashi said with his hands in his pockets. "Sasuke and I will report to the Hokage."

"Got it." Then I vanished into thin air.

A heir of a noble clan being intimate with the heiress of another noble clan was a scandalous sight to the public. He appeared in the shadows before poofing away to another dark spot, nearing the Haruno compound. Teleporting right a far distance away was not something one can easily perform. Once the compound was in sight, it seemed as though Sakura had woken up at the familiarity of the air.

"Oh, we're here?" She tapped Neji's shoulder twice on instinct, and he understood what she meant: put her down.

He obeyed her, understanding the importance of a heiress' dignity. Despite the voice in him saying not to let her move so much in her condition. Although they argued a lot in the past, he believe they have developed a certain level of acquaintanceship that he cared for her.

"What a disgrace to return in this pathetic condition!" The head of the family yelled. Only a father and her daughter was present in the room.

She casted her gaze onto the floor. She was ashamed.

"I'll work harder to beat the Akatsuki, father." She said firmly, holding zero emotion in her voice and expression.

"Fighting the Akatsuki is no excuse to return home with a defeat!" He yelled, protecting his pride in front of his daughter. She hadn't explained the identity of her opponent and he felt a dent was made in his pride. Because he knew even he couldn't beat an Akatsuki and yet he blamed her for returning with such injuries. However, losing an argument to his daughter was something he cannot bear; thus, he stood to his point no matter how childish and unreasonable it was. "Which member was it?"

"It was Kisame, father." The entire time she stood in the room, there wasn't a single second where she could bring her head up. She was too embarrassed in herself.

"Hmph! He wasn't even the strongest one!"

She dropped to her knees, speaking louder, "I promise you, I will defeat him the next time I see him. Our match have not ended."

"Return with a glorious victory." He huffed.

After a little over a week, Sakura had a visitor. She started with her training already, delaying her recovery and her visitor knew that. He met her while she trained and worry was all he felt.

"Sakura."

She turned to him in a body full of sweat.

"Kakashi-sensei." She said in between breaths.

He figured he would skip the talk she wouldn't want to listen and get straight to the point.

"I have registered all three of you for the Chunnin exams, are you well enough?"

"Of course, I won't let you down."

Right when he thought she finally broke free from her facade, the girl standing in front of him right now, has lost sense of positivity and warmth. The fight with Kisame had landed more of an impact than he thought.

He nodded in response, "I trust your abilities. The first exam will be held in the academy next week, meet the boys there."

"Yes sensei."

"Good luck and be careful." He said before disappearing into a puff of smoke.

A week later, just a day before the exam, Sakura woke up a little earlier than usual. She heaved a sigh and turned her head to look up into the sky from her bedroom. She felt the cold breeze lightly pushing her hair and allowed the soft pink petals enter her room, filling it with its refreshing scent.

"I should start training now." She said to no one in particular.

She changed into a short, sleeveless kimono and black tight shorts. She readied her equipments and headed to her training compound: an open space surrounded by cherry blossom trees.

She began warming up with her taijutsu and decided to work on it because she thought building up her stamina would benefit her. Fighting in exhaustion is certainly a step to defeat.

She trained all day until nightfall, giving herself minimal time to rest. She painted heavily and dropped on the grass covered in pink and white petals. She rested for about 5 minutes before getting up to resume her training. Until a voice stopped her.

"It doesn't mean you will get stronger by simply training all day. Yes, you need to train, but you need enough rest as well."

Maybe she was too caught up with her training that she didn't sense him nearby. She nearly jumped from the sudden intrusion.

"If you don't have enough rest, not only your will your muscles be in stress, but your mind can't focus as well. It's a pointless fight if you can't think straight. You need a clear mind and a healthy body to win."

She shrugged her shoulders and turned to him. She knew he was right. "You're right, Kakashi sensei. I was too focused on enhancing my skills that I laid aside my well-being."

"I believe you can do it, Sakura. You are the most intelligent in our team." He said as he pats her head.

She sighed, hearing him say those words certainly left her heart aching. "It would be great if you are my father instead of him." She whispered an she was gone in a whirlwind of cherry blossoms.

==

Dedicated to SweetSour42 for your votes!

~Joelle

Published: December 2014Rewritten: 1 May 2018

Rewritten: 1 May 2018