First mistake

Recap:
A cough was heard as a sluggish old man came tumbling in with a bottle of beer in hand "The names Tazuna, you brats better take care of me you hear" he said slurring his words.

Naruto's eye twitched

-

     It was extremely dark and the sound of a loud owl by her window creeped her out tremendously.It was rather hard to keep her eyes shut with them burning every now and again. Although she couldn't sleep it didn't stop her from thinking of her first 'real' mission. Sakura was a lot more lonely without the voice that would usually invade her mind.

  "I should sleep" she whispered softly staring up at her white ceiling.

-

  "...your words cut deep kid...deeper than any sword" The sky seemed to be crying that day as the white coated ground was splattered with blood.The clanking of metal was heard as Sakura stood in front of Tazuna on shaky legs determined to protect him.

    Zabuza took down all of gatos men with that of one kunai in between his sharp teeth. Walking towards the dying Male known as Haku he laid next to him, his muscles relaxing and his breathing slowing.

     "For so long you were always at my side, the least I can do is be beside you at the end. I know it cannot be, but I wish I could go to where you have gone. How I wish I could join you there...Haku"

-

     Sakura jolted awake at the sound of birds chirping, looking down at her pillow she noticed an all too familiar liquid on her pillow. Power walking towards the bathroom she grabbed a piece of paper towel off the rack in a hurry to clean the blood that was rapidly coming out of her nose. Pushing her back against the wall for support she sighed. 'can I do this?'

-

     Walking down the steps she spotted her mother cleaning and her father Kizashi making breakfast. Upon spotting her he grinned. "Sakura-chan, i'm back ;did you miss your old man?" He said flipping a pancake. Sakura smiled tiredly the bags under her eyes making it hard to stay awake.

"Hey dad, how was the trip?" Sakura asked grabbing an apple to wash off. He frowned at her baggy eyes and turned to Mebuki who shook her head.

     "I made breakfast Sakura; I heard you're going on your first escort mission! eat up kiddo" he said ignoring her question and instead presented a fresh batch of pancakes with syrup and strawberries which was her favorite meal, but at that moment she felt like her stomach would reject it.

     "Thanks dad, but Sensei told us to eat light" she lied easily showing him her apple. He looked unsure but nodded anyways."All packed up? I can take you to the gate it's pretty early?" He suggested watching as she grabbed two more apples.

Sakura stared at her father and smiled at him in reassurance. "Thanks dad, but you just got back spend some time with mom okay?" She replied back with a wave missing their looks of concern.

-

     Approaching the gate she realized how tired she truly was.The day just started and she was already struggling. "Ehem" She snapped her head up to see the old man from yesterday looking at her with a bit of concern "You okay brat?" he asked in a gruff voice.

      "Yes-- just a little tired" she replied standing up with her bag to give a small smile. He looked her in the eyes, which made her stomach twist; the thought of him sending her back home making her nervous.

Tazuna nodded, but didn't seem convinced and started to mumble."Ah-- Sakura-chan!" A blur of orange was waving excitedly to her in the distance along with another blur which was obviously Sasuke walking at a slower pace.

Naruto was the first to reach them and gave a bright smile. In order to look like she was okay Sakura gave them a small smile of her own in greeting before sitting back down again. 'It's hard to breath' she thought trying to not be so obvious.

     A water bottle was shoved in her face, looking up she noticed Naruto's stretched out hand and his look of concern. Sasuke had his arms crossed with an unnerving eye on her, while Tazuna was frowning.

"Thanks" Sakura said taking the water bottle to press against her head. "You up for this mission Pinky? you don't look too good" Tazuna asked again adjusting his pack . Nodding her head she quickly gave Naruto his bottle back. 'I gotta get it together' she thought holding on to the gate to pull her body up ignoring their stares.

"...Just a bit tired i'll be fine" Sasuke scoffed at her excuse "You look like you haven't slept in days, don't slow us down" he said with an annoyed scowl on his face. Naruto jabbed a finger at Sasuke "Bastard, Sakura-Chan is tired---" they started to argue as Sakura attempted to tune them out and ignore what Sasuke said.

     "Well-- why don't we head out" snapping out of their argument all sets of heads turned towards Kakashi who was staring at them in amusement. He passed them expecting them to follow. Izumo and Kotetsu bowed in respect towards Kakashi while opening the gate.

"Kakashi-sensei you're late!"

     Sakura gathered her things to follow behind ignoring her surroundings.

     'This is going to be a long trip'

-

A/N: I hope everyone is being safe!