Tense Traveling

Recap:

Sakura gathered her things to follow behind ignoring her surroundings.

     'This is going to be a long trip'

-

The sun seemed to peak out from behind the clouds and shine through the green trees that surrounded them. A sigh escaped her lips as Naruto grumbled about the long walk for the 40th time."Kaka-sensei, when can we take a snack break? i'm starving" he said clutching both his backpack straps.

Kakashi simply turned a page of his orange book to ignore the loud blond.

     "tch, the brat just needs a good spanking i'm sure that will shut em' up" Tazuna slurred throwing his head back to take a swig of the vile liquid. Naruto glared at the older man.

"You know-- My beautiful daughter Tsunami was once like you" he said pointing his beer bottle at Sakura randomly. Sasuke rolled his eyes to shove his hands in his pockets. "...that was until she met that knuckleheaded fellow" he said swinging his bottle around.

"He was loud just like the blond over there--always talking about change" he took another swig of his drink to continue his story. "He grew on me though, his resolve was just that strong..." he said in a soft tone pausing to catch his breath.

Sakura stared at the older man "u-um, whatever happened? I mean to the guy" she said looking at him from the side of her eye. "He was a hero--he died as a hero that is..." He trailed off again without another word.

     Silence fell over the group as they continued to walk darkness creeping up on them soon enough.

-

      "We'll turn in for the night here" Kakashi said closing his book to turn to his students. "Naruto and Sasuke go look for wood" He said pointing to the two boys who glared at each other. "Sakura you can get the water" he said smiling behind his mask. 'Why am I always the one with the odd jobs?' she thought in annoyance.

     Kakashi walked past her but stopped short. "How--how are you doing lately?" Kakashi said his tone serious and hesitant. Sakura snapped her head up to him, "I'm a lot better, thank you" she replied fast attempting to walk past him, but his words stopped her. "Hard to sleep?" he asked. "Not at all" she quickly replied walking away to get water from the stream not missing his suspicious eye.

-

     Taking out all the water bottles she started to fill them up one by one. Looking at her reflection she touched her face immediately getting distracted. "Sakura!" she looked up facing the voice that called her. Naruto stood right in front of her, "You weren't responding like you were in a trance" he said raising an eyebrow.

     Shaking her head and gathering the water bottles and stared at him with a smile. "Sorry, I day dream sometimes" she lied easily.

     Naruto stared back at her with a smile of his own "if you say so"
-

     It was silent except for the crackling of fire and distant snoring of Tazuna. "I'll take watch while you guys sleep" Kakashi suggested orange book already in hand. Naruto Yawned jumping up quickly to go to the tent."Idiot you really bought pajamas?" Sasuke said walking after him which resulted in another argument.

     Sakura got up to walk after them ignoring Kakashi's stare. 'I wish everyone would stop looking at me' she thought pulling back the flap of the tent.

     Gaining both her teammates attention she walked to her side to get in her sleeping bag. She listened to them shuffle and argue silently about being too loud which gradually put her in a deep slumber.

-

     'He was fading fast his skin peeling rather quickly and turning into a dark ash to drift away

     'He was fading fast his skin peeling rather quickly and turning into a dark ash to drift away. Even though he knew he would not live he smiled anyway. "...You'll probably have to suffer again from now on...but dont change, keep going your way. You told me that you never change your words...thats your ninja way. Right? Naruto, become Hokage...at all costs..."

-

     Sakura didn't know when, but she jolted awake and started to scream.