CHAPTER 4: Rowan

I can't believe that I ever agreed to any of this crap. It's a little hypocritical of my father to be honest, to insist upon me having to get married. I mean, sure I agree that family is important but I'm still young and he was married when he was young to somebody for a year before he met my mom and saw her on the side without telling his wife.

She eventually had found out about my mom being pregnant with me and to my knowledge, he bought off his ex wife with a divorce and married my mom before she had me.

Now I'm not saying they were never in love as I'm sure they were at one point. Then I saw what my mother did to my father and SHE'd be the one cheating on him and they'd ways argue until one day she overdosed on snorting cocaine with her boyfriend she had on the side.

So I don't even bother with that marriage bullshit. However, my father thinks that just because he fooled everybody in the fact that him and her were in love and truly happy up until she overdosed, doesn't mean I want to do the same.

Then again, it's family tradition I guess since his father didn't give him the family business until he got married. So you see, everything about relationships and especially marriage, is out of convenience. Not that love bullshit! It's all for show and not to mention the fact that ALL the big Mafia Kings always have side women aside from their wives.

On the other hand, I guess in a way it'll be alright since none of it will be real and I can do whatever I want with whomever on the side as long as I don't get caught.

I had just finished signing several things that I was giving to someone I was having a meeting tomorrow with when I heard a knock at the door.

"Come in!" I called out.

The door opened and in walked Anton.

"Boss, your soon-to-be-wife is here." He says.

I thought it was weird with how he just said that but I downed the last of the whiskey in my glass and started to follow him out towards where she was at.

The moment I had turned the corner and headed towards the living room, I stopped when I noticed this was NOTHING like the girl I saw in the picture.

This girl had thicker curves, long brownish hair and seemed to be a bit timid-like. Was this a joke?!

"Who the hell is this?!" I asked.

"This is Melody. Your dad sent me a message half an hour ago explaining that the original girl was already married and so he had his client give you his daughter." Anton explains.

"There's no way this is real. She'll never pass as my wife. Everybody knows me and she clearly doesn't fit the image they'd be expecting." I tell him.

I've always been great at reading people and she definitely doesn't blend. Nobody would believe us.

Now, on a personal level and if my life was a little different, would I say she's my type? Absolutely! But this girl, everybody will expect her to be thinner and well, not to be rude, thin and just like the girl in the picture.

"Just give her a chance. I think she's really pretty." Anton comments.

"Yeah cause you don't have to be with her." I tell him.

"Can you please stop talking about me as if I'm not here?!" She interrupts us.

Already I'm impressed as is Anton and the few other guys who are part of my crew as well.

"We're not. Trust me, I'm not the type who talks shit behind people's backs. I'd rather give it to you straight as I look you right in the eyes." I assure her.

I start taking a few steps towards her and as I get closer, I can tell she looks real tired and has been crying on top of looking a bit scared of me.

"Look, we both don't want this and I know I'm not your type, but neither one of us seems to have a choice. So lets just try and make the best of it." She states.

I've got to admit that I'm impressed and a little taken back.

"I agree. Well, now that you know how this works then I guess we're done here." I smirk.

We share a moment of awkward silence and then Anton luckily interrupts us and helps her to her room.

"Come on Melody, I'll show you to your room and give you the house tour." He offers.

He takes her few bags in each hand and she avoids eye contact with me then follows him up the stairs towards her bedroom which happens to also be a couple of rooms down from mine.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)