CHAPTER 24: Rowan

The next few days after returning home and her father being murdered, I have tried all I can to make sure she feels safe and comfortable.

I couldn't believe that this happened and I feel terrible for have ever leaving her in the state that I did emotionally.

I was in my office looking over several papers when I heard a light knock on the door.

"Enter!" I called out while starting to sign a few things and then looked up for a moment to see Melody walking in.

"Sorry to bother you." She begins to tell me.

"You aren't." I tell her while setting the pen down. "Come in." I smile at her. 

She comes inside and closes the door behind her. I can tell by the look on her face at how upset she feels and how worried she is. 

"I know you're doing everything you can in finding the person who killed my father and I appreciate everything you have done for me thus far. But, to be honest, after finding my father the way that I did in the hotel room, just, it just....it makes me worried and very fearful." She begins to say while sitting on the couch off to the side a few feet away from my desk and looks down at her hands on her lap. 

I start to get up and walk over to take a seat next to her and try to figure out a way to comfort her as this is all still new to me. I can't remember the last time I tried to really comfort anybody and never thought that I would get married, let alone with her become truly and genuinely happy. 

"What is it that you fear the most?" I ask her. 

"I fear that now without any family left, with the way that you ave made me fall for you and how fast, I fear that by the end of all this and when we get a divorce, I am afraid I will be losing another person I let close to my heart." She begins to sniffle and I can tell some tears are falling down her face and falling onto her hands. 

So I lift her chin up and turn her head to look at me and then gently caress the side of her face with the back of my hand as we look into each other's eyes. 

"Melody, I know that the night I left, I knew that I wasn't being fair with you by letting you feel anger that really wasn't directed towards you at all. I regret making you feel whatever bad feeling you felt as a result of that. I also apologize for not being the husband that you deserve and that you ever got into this mess in the first place. I am trying really hard, along with my father as well and his men, in trying to find out who killed your dad." I stopped myself for a moment and took in a deep breath then let it out before continuing. 

"Melody, I want you to know that no matter what happens between us, I am ALWAYS going to love you. You've made me see things in myself I never thought was possible. I never thought I could be the kind of man you have helped me become. Hell, I never expected to get married or ever be happy, to be honest, in this marriage. But I have. Honestly, I don't want to ever leave you or have you leave me and so with that said, when it comes right down to everything, after all is said and done, if you wish to still divorce me for whatever reason rather it's because you don't want this lifestyle, or whatever it is, I won't force you to stay and again, I will always love you and be here for you whenever you need me." I tell her. 

Pain resonated inside my chest really deep and painful. I felt almost like my heart was literally breaking in two. However, I truly do want her to be happy, rather it's with me or somebody else. It isn't too late for her to have a better life and be away from all this and so, with that said, I painfully get up, trying to fight back some tears and begin to walk over towards my desk. 

I grab one of the papers I had just finished going through and signed, including a copy of my WILL and handed it to her. 

"Here. The look on your face, I can tell you aren't going to want this and I don't blame you. You deserve a better life. A better husband. So, if you want to, we can get the divorce sooner than we had planned." I tell her. 

She looks up at me with her eyes still glistening from the tears and all puffy from crying then takes the piece of paper and looks down at it before she begins crying some more. 

"I'm sorry that I ever let you become a part of this and don't worry about my father. I'll explain everything to him and you will never have to look over your shoulder and be afraid. I promise that nobody will ever come after you again." I tell her. 

I next bend my head down and give her a long passionate 'goodbye' kiss on the top of her head and gently run my fingers through her hair again, then start walking out of the office. I needed to get some air after that and needed to be away right now. This pain in my chest where my heart is supposed to be is hurting and making me feel the worse pain I have felt in my entire life. 

It pains me to do what I just did but at the same time, I don't want to be selfish and CAN'T be selfish in holding her back from a better life. I couldn't stand seeing her in pain and crying all because she was forced into a lifestyle that was never hers to endure to live. So I thought this way, she could have an easy way out and not suffer any more. 

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)