CHAPTER 17: Melody

It was hard to fall asleep right away and to stop myself from crying so much but after scrubbing myself so much and so hard in the shower, when I was finished and felt disgusted, I laid in bed and began to break out crying and sobbing more than ever.

'I can't live like this!' I had thought to myself. This was no way for anybody to live especially me and I never thought Anton would be the one to have done that to me.

When the next morning came around, I had still felt sore on the side of my face and while getting dressed and looking at the side of my face in the mirror, I winced in pain as I tried to gently touch the dark bruise on my face at where he had hit me at. But that's why I have long hair to help hide what I can.

I then tried covering it up with makeup but it could only cover so much. So I just closed my eyes and took in a deep breath then let it out before I even dared to face Rowan.

Rowan probably is going to yell at me and blame me for what happened then not believe me and then for the rest of this marriage I will be forever needing to try and keep my distance from Anton and always be on guard.

I started making my way downstairs and smelled a delicious and mouth-watering aroma coming from the kitchen and as I got downstairs, I saw it was Rowan?

He seems to burn himself while trying to grab the hot pot of what I'm assuming must be the gravy.

"Ah fuck!" He says to himself then looks up and see's me.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt." I mention.

"Not at all. Actually I'm finished I'm just trying to pour the last of this gravy over these biscuits." He smiles at me.

I hope this isn't some trick because I am not in the mood for arguing or tricks.

"Smells good." I comment.

"Thanks. I hope it tastes good too." He replies.

Next he walks over with our plates and sets down the plates. One in front of me while the other one is at the chair next to me.

He grabs us some drinks then takes a seat and waits for me to take a bite first. In which I did and it was the best bite of food I have had in a long time.

"Mhm...." I moaned a little bit. "That's really good. Thank you for making this." I smile at him as much as I can while ignoring the pain.

"Thanks." He smiles at me and then we both continue eating.

We don't say anything for a few moments until eventually, he decides to break the awkward silence.

"You know, about yesterday and what happened...." He starts. "I'm sorry." He tells me. "But I took care of it and you won't ever have to worry about Anton again." He tells me.

"What did you do to him?" I asked.

"Taught him a lesson." He says while still not looking at me and drinking his coffee.

"Thank you." I tell him.

"For what?" He asks now looking at me with a confused look on his face.

"For not accusing me of lying. I know he was your best friend and I just thought you'd..." I stopped myself and fought back the tears.

"Yeah well, I don't care who you are. Nobody including men, should ever advance themselves onto a woman without her permission." He says looking at me still.

When I look back into his eyes I feel as though I am safe now.

"I appreciate it. Not many think that way." I tell him while taking another bite of food.

"I'm not like most." He replies.

"I know." I half smile back.

"You know, if anyone should be sorry it should be me. And as far as thanking me, there's no need. I should in fact, be the one here thanking you." He smiles again at me.

"Why?" I asked now being the one confused.

"Because you made dinner for me last night. And I am sorry, because of what happened to you." He tells me with so much sincerity.

I try and gather myself together while I fight back some tears before I say something.

"Rowan, I don't think I can do this. This life is not right and I can't live in the constant fear of being attacked by not just one of your men but just being your wife. Which makes me a huge target. Also, I don't want to live forever in the house and never live my life or to have you leave on a business trip wondering if you're sleeping with other women. I especially don't want to be with somebody that doesn't truly want me. I mean, I know that we technically have to wait for however long before we can get divorced but please, I just don't know if I can take it." I break down crying and he just sits there without saying anything.

I get up and leave to my bedroom where I close the door and sob as I fall onto the bed on my side facing the window, hugging one of my pillows as I try and calm myself down from sobbing.

I apparently was crying so loud that I didn't hear the door open or close but knew somebody was in here once I began to feel the bed beside me dip down and then I felt his arm wrap around my waist and his lips get closer to my ears.

"I really want to be with you Melody. I'm sorry that I ever agreed to you marrying me and you having to become part of this whole lifestyle. As far as other women, I haven't slept with anyone since that day I saw in your eyes how much it hurt you that I brought a girl over. Before that I had just met you and didn't think I would ever become interested. But I have." He says.

"You have?" I asked trying to ignore how great it feels having him hold me.

"Melody, I have never wanted to be with someone as much as I want to be with you." He tells me.

I take in a couple of deep breaths then let them out before I next turn onto my back a little and see him looking at me while holding himself up on one arm but still positioned a little over me.

"Do you mean that? Do you really want to make this work?" I ask while looking him back into his eyes.

"Yes. I want to be with you Melody and I am willing to do whatever it takes to be with you and earn your trust and your love." He tells me with what looks to me to be like some tears starting to build up in his eyes.

I smile at him as he does with me and then he leans in slowly until our lips meet and we start passionately kissing each other.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)