CHAPTER 14: Rowan

I have been gone for the past few days and when I awoke this morning in my hotel room, all I could think about was Melody and all that was said last between us.

I had just gotten off the phone before she came downstairs and he got me all riled up and pissed off at even suggesting that he knew a great place where I could choose a woman to be my 'hook up' for whenever I come to town. That's supposedly what they all do and normally I would have not hesitated in that suggestion but I don't know, call it me falling for Melody or whatever, even love, but I feel it's wrong. Despite how horny I have been and everything lately. But all I can think of whenever I close my eyes is her.

We should have had a honeymoon. I shouldn't have reacted the way I did that morning right before I left the house. Most importantly, I never should have lied to her in pretending I didn't know what she was talking about.

I thought I could go through with all this and do better on my part but then my dad called me the moment we came after the reception of the wedding and that's when things right away turned to shit.

He mentioned he wanted me to leave with him on a 'business' trip because he was going to be holding a meeting with many leaders of different Mafia's.

I have never gone to one of those before and it's the most important one too that you can be a part of but can only go to if you are the Mafia boss.

My father is the leader of the entire meeting and has been ever since he got the title which is also the position I will soon have and is why he is called the Mafia King.

I have always wanted to go to it and have dreamed about it ever since he told me that I was going to someday be taking over. Although that's not what upset me the most, he mentioned about mine and Melody's marriage and how even though he was proud of me, he still had terms that he was reminding me about, that pissed me off more than I already was towards him for making me ruin some innocent person's life by having them marry into this lifestyle. No, that wasn't enough for him.

The moment I went, as much as the meeting was awesome, before, between and after that, he has been trying to get me started in finding a girl that I can always hook up with when in town without my wife but I refused and he's pissed off at me so today, before I get on my flight back home, he had called and told me to meet him down at the restaurant here in the nice hotel I stayed at.

He seemed to have gotten there sooner than me as it looked like he was sitting at a small round table and drinking his typical 'hangover' mix. I took in a breath and let it out before walking over and taking a seat across from him.

"So, what did you want to talk to me about?" I asked to have him hurry and get right to the point.

"Son, I want to first off, apologize to you about these past few days." He starts apologizing.

I look at him not believing what he's telling me because that isn't him. He doesn't ever apologize and he has done that to me since I was a kid only a small handful of times. I wonder what he's up to.

"What?" I asked.

"Well you know already that I'm not one to apologize to anyone but I am to you because believe it or not, I do care about you." He mentions.

"Okay......" I replied uncertain where this was going.

"I want to tell you that I admire how you stood up for yourself and for Melody in the fact of turning down offers on the women I had thought you would want to have for whenever you came back here, but when you told me you weren't doing that, I was taken back and to be honest, felt a little embarrassed because you had said that in front of a few of my good friends." He says.

"Yeah well, you should trust me enough to know that I can handle situations without needing any of your help." I remind him.

"I know that son." He nods in agreement. "And I want to promise you from here on out that I will make sure I don't question your motives for anything, especially in your personal life and I admire your courage in defending her even though this marriage is bullshit."

"Yes well, I have been thinking that maybe.....I don't know, maybe her and I could try and really make things work." I confess to him.

"I thought so. The way you both looked and acted with each other at the Reception after the wedding that you both seemed legit and to be honest, even I'm not that good of an actor. And..." He stops himself for a moment and puts out his cigar.

"And I hate to admit it but it reminded me in how things were with me and your mother when we first got married." He mentions with a smile on his face as it looks like he's remembering something. I haven't seen him smile like that over her in a while, let alone, talk about her.

"Do you regret what happened with you guys?" I asked.

"No. I mean, the cheating on her and how she died? Yes. Because believe it or not, she too was forced to marry me and I also had felt the same way that you feel right now. I also tried talking back to my father and disagree but he had been dominant over me for my entire life and I still was scared of him as a grown man. I should have fought harder and had gotten out of the lifestyle to give her and you a better life." He admits.

I have never heard nor seen him be this vulnerable before or as emotional. I can tell he's fighting tears back right now and begin to realize I am seeing him show me a side of him I not only had never seen before but also, I am seeing the part of me that Melody has been lately bringing out in me recently. She makes me want to have a different and more straight lifestyle.

I am quickly snapped out of my thoughts when I hear my dad call my name a few times to get my attention.

"Sorry." I tell him and then I hear my phone start to go off in my pocket and I look down and see it's Bolton? "Yeah?" I ask.

"Boss, you better get back home soon.....Something has happened with Melody that I can't tell you over the phone. You just, you need to get here as soon as you can." He tells me.

I immediately go into a panic mode and tell my father I have to leave, he understands and tells me to contact him later and let him know what has happened. So I start to leave and throughout the entire trip back home, I feel sick and anxious. I'm worried. I wonder what has happened.

Next chapter will be posted soon! :)