Chapter 2: Keeping You Safe

A few minutes later, Sesshomaru had given Kagome a bandage to heal her left arm. When he decided to protect Kagome from Inuyasha, he felt wrong by bringing her with him. What am I thinking? Sesshomaru questioned himself in his thoughts as he sounded a bit worried. Bringing her with me? She'll be in danger if we go any further into demon country.

Sesshomaru was worried that Kagome will get hurt again just like Inuyasha had inflicted on her left arm. He couldn't believe Inuyasha would do that! Betraying Kagome by taking all of her soul to give it back to Kikyo? Sesshomaru was furious about this. Sesshomaru had protected Rin a human little girl from demons. Now he was protecting Kagome from his younger brother Inuyasha. He vowed to keep her safe.

"Lord Sesshomaru!" A voice called out his name Kagome saw the familiar little girl running toward him.

"Oh, it's Rin!" Kagome exclaimed excitedly.

"Lord Sesshomaru!" The green creature flew in the air with those two-headed creatures. Kagome knew it was Jaken all along. The two-headed creature landed on the ground as Jaken got off of its back. He looked up and saw Kagome was with Sesshomaru, becoming annoyed as ever. "Lord Sesshomaru, what is she doing here? And why is she with you?"

He narrowed his eyes at him. "Hn."

"He brought me with him," Kagome began talking to him.

"What!? Lord Sesshomaru, you brought Kagome with you!? Isn't she with Inuyasha all along?"

"Well, Jaken, Inuyasha tried to kill me..." Kagome told him, sounding a bit sad, "Because Kikyo wanted Inuyasha to kill me then her soul will be whole again."

"Inuyasha tried to kill you!?" Jaken shouted in surprise.

"Kagome, why would Inuyasha do that?" Rin asked her curiously, sounding worried.

Kagome sighed as she smiled at her. "You don't need to worry about me, Rin," she said. "I was rescued by Sesshomaru."

Sesshomaru nodded. "Hn."

"Well, Inuyasha is such a disrespectful half-breed!" Jaken complained as he was glaring around. "I can't believe he would do that to you!"

"It's okay," Kagome calmed him down as her sweat formed on her forehead. "Inuyasha won't get me now. I'm safer with Sesshomaru."

Suddenly, Sesshomaru looked up and stared at the sky. He knew the storm is coming as he began to warn the others. "It looks like a storm is coming," he murmured. "We should go find the shelter."

The three of them nodded their heads. They stood beside each other as they followed Sesshomaru in the field. Kagome stood beside Sesshomaru as well.

"Soon the moon's light will be hidden," Rin said.

"Foolish girl!" Jaken snapped. "There won't be the full moon tonight when the storm comes! Plus, Lord Sesshomaru can guide us through the darkness."

Rin yawned as she felt exhausted by traveling with the others. Kagome knew she looked tired as she stood beside her.

"Here, hop on my back, Rin," Kagome said.

"Okay!" Rin nodded. She climbed onto her back and then wrapped her arms around her shoulders and neck as she buckled up. Rin leaned her head on her shoulder and then began to fall asleep.

Sesshomaru glanced his amber eyes at the two girls. He saw Rin was hiding on Kagome's back while sleeping. He thought Kagome was like a mother to her. Though she was only eighteen years old. It has been three years now since she first arrived in the feudal era and made friends with Inuyasha and the gang. He looked back and continued to walk toward the path.

Kagome must be kind and helpful to Rin, Sesshomaru murmured in his thoughts. I shouldn't bring her with us when I found her in the river. But if she's in danger, I'll have to keep her safe.

He glanced at his eyes and see Kagome looked a bit exhausted by carrying Rin and traveled with the others. Sesshomaru knew she was about to pass out.

What was I thinking? Sesshomaru questioned in his thoughts. She can't stay near demon country. There is nowhere we can safely stay together. I need to solve this.

Finally, Sesshomaru found a place with pine trees where they could get some rest. He thought Kagome and Rin would be safer there. Suddenly, Kagome collapsed as she fell to her knees and then her stomach, but Sesshomaru held them up. Kagome groaned tiredly as she looked at his face.

"Sesshomaru...?"

"You two should get some rest," Sesshomaru told them. "There's the pine trees that cover us from the rain."

Kagome nodded as Sesshomaru held her up. They put Rin down first then Sesshomaru picked her up and put her on the soft grass. Kagome lay beside Rin as she glanced her honey-brown eyes at Sesshomaru.

"Sesshomaru... thank you," she murmured with a smile on her face, resting her whole body up and then falling asleep.

Sesshomaru nodded. "Hn." He looked at the sky and sighed softly. Even though the whole isn't safe, it's safer here.

***

"Hey, Inuyasha, where's Kagome?" It was Miroku who questioned him. Miroku and the others, Sango, Kirara, and Shippo stood in front of the half-demon dog with a curious look on their faces. Everyone was worried about Kagome who went missing. Except for Inuyasha who wasn't. He was a traitor who tried to kill Kagome to bring the soul to Kikyo. Everyone doesn't know what happened. But Inuyasha was keeping a secret from them.

Right now, Inuyasha gave them a confused look on his face. "Huh?" he asked them.

"I said where's Kagome?" Miroku repeated.

"She left," he lied, sounding like an innocent man but a liar.

"What?"

"Kagome left," Inuyasha repeated. "She went back home."

"What? But... Kagome would never leave us," Sango said with a worried look on her face. It didn't make sense to her, she realized that Inuyasha was hiding something from them. Sango thought that wasn't good.

"So?" Inuyasha snapped with a glaring look on his face. "We don't need her anymore because Kagome is nothing but a useless brat. She always keeps being so nice to that stupid mutt wolf Koga despite that he's so mean to me and promised to marry Ayame! I mean, come on! Why do we need her, anyway? Because she is abusive, manipulative, bratty, and even slut!"

"Inuyasha! Kagome would never do that to you!" Miroku declared, arguing with him. "Kagome has the right choice to do. Kagome has pure and kind-hearted because she is always by your side and always helps people out. But now you are being too cruel and disrespectful toward Kagome because you never help her or anyone else! All you do is go meet with Kikyo and not help us out!"

Inuyasha scoffed, rolling his amber eyes. "Says who? We still don't need her anymore! I decided to replace Kagome and then let Kikyo join our group. Besides, she's way stronger than Kagome, anyway."

Sango began to interrupt. "You know what, Inuyasha?" she argued. "You are such a jerk! You have no showing some respect toward us and even Kagome!"

"Yeah, and you always steal my food away while I was feeling hungry!" Shippo snapped, pointing at him. "You drove Kagome away!"

"I would do no such thing, you little runt!" Inuyasha snarled at Shippo.

"Yes, you are!" Miroku declared again. "Some friend you are, Inuyasha. We can't believe that you are replacing Kagome!"

After the argument, they began to have a journey with Inuyasha and Kikyo. Kikyo, of course, appeared from the shadows of the tree. They saw her smiling at them, but the others knew it wasn't an innocent smile. They knew Kikyo was an evil priestess who always wanted to get rid of Kagome once it or all. Kirara gave her a low growl toward her. Sango had a very uncomfortable feeling coming from Kikyo. They all never trust her. Nobody trusts Kikyo. They prayed for Kagome to be okay. They wanted to know what has happened between Kagome and Inuyasha.