WAAR never changes

Here's the trailer for 1917. Why? Because it's f*cking awesome! And so was the movie.

Alex POV

???: We gotta get to the church!

Silence.

???: Come on, we gotta go!

More silence.

???: Alex... they got me...

I wake up with a gasp. My breathing rapid. I look around the room and see the rest of my team still asleep. John is facing the wall in the bunk above me. Arthur sleeps on top of the covers. Dick sleeps with a teddy bear in his arms. He bought it at a store because it reminded him of his 4 year old brother.

I look at the clock and see that it's 3:00 in the morning. I go to the bathroom to wash my face. Before I turn the water on, I notice the tear tracks on my cheeks. I've been crying again. I always do whenever I remember that moment. For three nights now I've had the same memory play through my head each time I fall asleep.

I turn on the water and wash my face. When I'm done, I dry my face with a rag. I walk out of the bathroom and look out the window. It's a beautiful night. Of course, any night here is beautiful compared to the countless of fear that the Nazis would attack us in our sleep.

You're probably wondering where "here" is. Well, it's not on Earth. Some sort of time and space paradox sucked me into a world called Remnant. A peaceful world, if you take away the monsters and terrorists. My place of residence is an academy called Beacon, a school designed to train warriors to fight those monsters I mentioned earlier.

Also, I said time and space paradox. I wasn't the only one to get teleported to Remnant. There were 7 others, 4 of whom you'll meet later. The ones you'll meet right now are my team. We're all from different conflicts of Earth's history. I'm from the conflict known as WW2. I was a boy from Chicago who lied about my age enlisted in the US army. I've survived D-Day, helped liberate France, and I was pulled to Remnant in the Battle of the Bulge.

My leader, John Winston Fish, is a British WW1 Private who fought in events such as Ypres and the Somme. He's kind of in a bad place right now. Emotionally, that is. He hurt some of the friends we made here and he's really beating himself up about it.

Then we have the two from the future. Well, my future, their present. We have Arthur Morrigan, an African-American Marine who fought in a conflict he calls the "Vietnam War", sometimes shortened to "Vietnam" or "'Nam". He hasn't really seen any important events in his war, but he has seen combat.

Finally, there's Dick, or Richard. He's a US Marine from the year 2007. He was part of war in Iraq known as "Iraqi Freedom". He tends to joke a lot, but it's to cope with what he's seen and done. What he's done, I don't know. Each time someone asks him, he simply responds with "Let's just say there's a point where you have draw the line, and leave it at that".

I mentioned earlier that we had made friends in Remnant. You'll get to know them in a bit. However, things haven't been the same since they found out the truth. They still treat us as friends, but my team and I just wish that the truth presented itself in a more... pleasant way.

I turn from the window and walk out of the room and into a hallway. I walk down the hallway and onto a communal balcony. I lean on the railing and take out a box of cigarettes. I take one out of the box, put it in my mouth, and light it with my lighter.

???: Having trouble getting some sleep?

I turn and see Pyrrha Nikkos, a red headed girl from Team JNPR. Pyrrha was one of the first ones to find out who we truly were. She tried to help me and Arthur by activating something called aura, and, in the process, accidentally accessed our memories.

Me: Yeah. And I thought it was hard during the war.

She walks up next to me.

Pyrrha: It's awful. What you four had to go through.
Me: We chose to go into that chaos. We came from all over the world, thinking war would be our rite of passage. A grand adventure...

I take a puff from the cigarette.

Me:What mooks we were.
Pyrrha: You were only doing what you thought was right.
Me: Yeah... and I guess what we were doing was the right thing to do, to some extent... but, still, that's how it all starts. You go in thinking the enemy is a bunch of mindless drones... then by the end, you realize that they're just as human as you are.

I flick the cigarette away and sigh. Pyrrha leaves the balcony.

Pyrrha: Well, I'll leave you to your contemplation. Have a good night, Alex.

I chuckle and look back up at the stars.