The calm

Penrich POV

I sit in the cafeteria and eat my lunch. My favorite, Pfefferpotthast.

I'm happy that I have something that isn't a military ration

I'm happy that I have something that isn't a military ration. At least they kept me fed, I guess.

Eniko is reading a book that Blake had let him borrow. He's been searching through works of fiction and documentation to learn about this world's culture and history. Even though we have an entire class that teaches history. The book he's reading is about ninjas and love.

Eniko: This world has a peculiar idea of entertainment.
Alexi: That's normal among capitalists.
Me: An idea you agreed vith at vone point in your life.

Alexi has talked about how he wished to go to the United States, however his country wouldn't allow it. He had made a plan to defect, but was transported to Remnant before he could follow through with it.

Alexi: Well, I had planned to take it one step at a time. First, I planned on getting a recreational vehicle, a truck maybe. Then make a home in Montana.
Cohad: Then books?
Alexi: Da.

I chuckle and go back to eating. Then team WAAR sits down with us.

Alexi: Well, if it isn't our American comrades!
Dick: Not all of us. Remember, we're led by a British guy.
Eniko: Yes, John. I haven't seen him since he introduced himself.
John: Well, now it's twice you've seen me.

We turn and see John standing behind us holding his tray. He sits with us and we welcome him. He looks at me.

John: Penrich. Last time I saw you was-
Me: 1915. No Man's Land.

He's referring to the battle where we had spared each other. Keep in mind, however, he said "the last time" he saw me. We had interacted with each other before then, but that's a story for another time.

Arthur: Wasn't that the memory team RWBY saw?
John: Yes, it was.

Richard looks at something over Cohad's shoulder.

Dick: Speak of fun, and it shall appear.

We follow his line of sight and see team RWBY making their way toward us. Well, most of them. Ruby isn't present for some reason. They ask if they can sit with us, and we raise no objections.

Cohad: How come Ruby isn't present?
Weiss: She said she'd be here in a moment because she had to go get something.

We eat and talk for 3 minutes when Ruby comes out of no where and slams a giant binder on the table.

Ruby: Soldiers! Sisters! Friends! Weiss.
Weiss: Hey!
Dick: Difference between a Marine and a Soldier.
Ruby: Got it. Fourscore and 7 minutes ago I had a dream.
Yang: This oughta be good.
Dick: Funny, those two phrases were said in famous political speeches in the US.
Ruby: A dream that all of us would come together as friends to have the most fun anyone has ever had... Ever!!!
Weiss: Did you steal my binder?
Ruby: I am not a crook.
Blake: What are you talking about?
Ruby: I'm talking about kicking the semester off with a bang!
Yang: I always kick my semesters off with a Yang! Eh? Guys, am I right?
Dick: Boo this woman!

A fruit flies over my head and hits Yang in the forehead.

Ruby: Look guys, it's been a good two weeks, and between more exchange students arriving and the tournament at the end of the year, our second semester is going to be great! But classes start back up tomorrow. Which is why I have taken the time to schedule some wonderful events for today!
Alex: I'm sorry, but I just hear you say that you scheduled events? I didn't think you scheduled anything.
Ruby: What's that supposed to mean?!
John: You don't seem like the kind of person who schedules things, is all.
Me: Vile I've only known you for a few veeks, I'm sure vhatever it is, it's going to involve crazy shenanigans.
Weiss: I don't know whether to be proud or scared of what you have in store.

Yang throws a piece of fruit back at Nora.

Blake: I don't know, I think I might sit this one out.

Eniko leans over to me and whispers.

Eniko: It seems that something is bothering her.
Me: Jawhol. She's been quite und moody lately.
Dick: While that's typically normal for her, she seems to be doing it a lot more than usual.

Then Weiss speaks up.

Weiss: Sit out or not, I think however we spend this last day, we should do it as a team.

She stands up from her seat.

Weiss: I for one think that-

She gets hit in the face with pie. We look back and see Nora pointing at Ren.

Sun POV

Neptune: Man, that's harsh.
Me: So then we were fighting side by side, and she was super fast! And I threw a banana at a guy, which sounds gross, but it was awesome!
Neptune: Nice!
Me: Right?! And the best part is, she's a faunus!

I catch myself and call myself an idiot in my head for telling him that.

Me: But that's a secret, okay?
Neptune: Got it.
Me: And not a "I'm gonna go tell Scarlet the second Sun turns his back" secret, I'm talking Secret-secret!
Neptune: Whoah, man! Chill out, okay. I got it.
Me: You better. I just don't wanna screw this up, you know? The people here are the coolest! No offense to you guys.
Neptune: None taken.
Me: Oh, uh, one last secret. Team WAAR, they're, uh... they're war veterans from another world.
Neptune: Really?
Me: No, I'm being serious! You know the Dock Massacre? That was one of them.
Neptune: Wa-wait. So... you're not messing with me?
Me: No.
Neptune: Wow! What happened?!
Me: Well, they're war veterans, right? One of them thought he had somehow been transported back to his war, when he was actually still on Remnant. Like, PTSD.
Neptune: Wow. That's dark.
Me: Yeah. And you know how I said that they're all veterans? Well, they're not from the same war. They're from different time periods of their world!
Neptune: Wow.
Me: Yeah, so when you go in there, just be cool... you're gonna be cool, right?
Neptune: Dude...

He smiles at me.

Me: Fair enough.

We open the doors to the cafeteria, and witness the prelude to a food war.