A rose in the field

Dick POV

Me: Okay, let's- let's recap real quick... you're in love with Ruby?
John: Yes. I didn't know at first, then I started denying it... but I'm not gonna deny that fact anymore.
Arthur: And now you want to ask her to the dance?
John: Without making a bloody fool of myself, yes.

We're about to respond, when we hear a knock on the door. John opens the door to see... Ruby standing there?

Ruby: H-hey, John.
John: Hi Ruby. What, uh... what do you need?

Smooth.

Ruby: I, uh... I was just wondering if, uh...

Her eyes flick to her right. Curious, I peer over John's shoulder and see Yang hiding behind a corner, encouraging Ruby to say something.

And I think I know what that something is.

Ruby looks back at John and takes a deep, nervous breath.

Ruby: Willyougotothedancewithme?!

There is a moment of silence. I can't see John's face, but I can imagine the look on it. Then he finally speaks.

John: Y-yes. I'd love to go with you.

Ruby smiles then walks away. John, leaving the door open, slowly turns to face us. His eyes are wide, and his mouth is slightly open.

John: What. The bloody hell. Just happened?
Arthur: You, my British friend, just got yourself a date.

John's mouth, still slightly open, curls into the biggest smile I've ever seen.

John: Lads... I'm gonna go for a quick walk.

He walks out the door and towards the elevator. On his way, he passes Alex, who just got back from his talk with Blake.

Alex: What was that about.
Me: Ruby just turned our British boy into a lover boy. Speaking of which...

I look at Arthur and extend my hand.

Me: Pay up.

Arthur rolls his eyes, then puts 20 Lien in my hand.

Alex: What was that?
Me: Arthur and I made a bet on who'd ask who. I bet Ruby would ask, he bet John would ask.
Alex: Oh. I guess that's why she asked me if he was going with anyone earlier.
Arthur: He's gonna have to work on how he talks to her, though. He was stuttering mess.
Alex: You weren't?
Arthur: No. That's because the three of us are pure blooded Americans.
Me: Technically speaking, I'm Canadian.

The two look at me with wide eyes.

Arthur/Alex: What?!

Timeskip
John POV

Alex: You ready?
Me: No. But if I don't go now, I'm gonna bugger off like a coward.

Alex looks at himself in the reflection of a window.