Unfortunate Sons

John POV

Ruby and I enter the amphitheater with Zwei in Ruby's backpack. We find the rest of our teams and wait for Ozpin to make his speech. Which he gives ten seconds after we arrive.

Ozpin: Today, we stand together. United. Mistral. Atlas. Vacuo. Vale. The four kingdoms of Remnant. On this day, nearly 80 years ago, the largest war in recorded history came to an end. It was a war of-

Ignorance, greed, and oppression. The very things that plunge Earth into chaos time and time again. Because unlike Remnant, we have no Grimm, therefore, no common enemy to unite against. The only thing we can unite against is ourselves.

Ozpin: A war that was much more than where borders fell and who traded with who, but about individualism itself. We fought for countless reasons. One of which was the destruction of all forms of art and self expression. And as many of you are aware, that is something that many cannot stand for. As a result, many who opposed this tyranny began naming their children after one the core aspects of art itself.

Color.

Ozpin: It was their way of rebelling against this tyranny, and it would continue for generations to come. And it was a trend that has held to this very day. We express individuality, expressionism, and unity, through diversity. As I have said, today we stand together. United. But this bond cannot exist without effort. Which is why today, while the world celebrates peace, huntsman and huntresses will work to uphold it. As for the younger students, you will be shadowing professional huntsmen and huntresses. Some of you will be taken outside the kingdom for several days. Others may work within the walls for the rest of the week. But no matter which path you choose, remember to be safe, remember your training, and remember to do your very best.

And with that, he leaves the stage and we all disperse to pick missions. Since Penrich is using crutches right now, he let team PEAC choose their mission early. Conveniently, a White Fang spy was being treated in the same hospital where Penrich was taken, and had mentioned something about another warehouse on the docks.

My team, Team RWBY, and I gathered by one of the screens.

Ruby: This is perfect! All we have to do is shadow a huntsman working in the southeast.
Yang: Yeah! We'll follow 'em around in the day, and give them the slip at night.
Weiss: Let's check Search and Destroy.

The girls check the screen and find a mission that seems like a good place to start.

Ruby: Here we go! Quadrant 5 needs Grimm cleared out.
Arthur: Well, it's in the southeast.
Dick: Does seem like a good place to start.

Ruby tries to get us the mission, but she was denied.

Alex: Well, that sucks.
John: Any of you lads have any ideas?
Dick: We could do what Zwei did. Shove ourselves into a box and mail ourselves.
???: That could work.

We turn around and see Professor Ozpin.

Ozpin: Unfortunately, we determined that the concentration of Grimm was too much for first year students. It seems that particular region is rather popular. In fact, I have a sneaking suspicion that the eight of you will make your way there no matter which job you choose.

Ruby scratches the back of her neck.

Ruby: Whatever makes you say that?
Ozpin: I'm still curious as to how you found yourselves at the docks last semester. I'm interested to know how you learned of a hideout in the southeast. And certainly curios as to why witnesses reported Robots, Rose petals, and unknown military vehicles a while ago. I doubt I will ever find the exact answers I'm looking for. So, how about this: instead of waiting for you all to break the rules, why don't we just bend them.

He taps a few buttons on his scroll, then the mission becomes available.

Ruby: We won't let you down. Thank you, Professor.
Ozpin: Do not thank me for this. Teamwork and persistence have carried you far. But four of the eight of you must understand that the forces outside the walls will not care. Stay close to your huntsman at all times. Do exactly as he says. He will be leading you, and he can have you sent back to Beacon if he finds your skills unsatisfactory.

Then he looks at my team and I.

Ozpin: As for team WAAR, two teams under one huntsman on the same mission may cause some suspicions to arise. Therefor, I have called an old friend out of retirement to make sure that does not happen.

Then he walks off.

Wonder who he called...