Eins, Zwei, Drei

Third Person POV

James: They were here! Ozpin, they were here!
Glynda: We're aware that they were here, James!
James: Great! You're aware! Now are we just going to sit here, or are we going to do something about this?!

Before Ozpin answers the question, his desk beeps.

Ozpin: Come in.

The elevator door opens to reveal Ruby and John.

Ruby: Sorry we took so long. Somebody hit all the buttons in the elevator on the way up here. It wasn't me.
John: You expect them to believe that I would do that?
Ruby: ...Maybe.
Ozpin: Thank you two for coming. How are you feeling?
John: Better, now that we know that Penrich will be out in a few days.

Ironwood walks up to the two.

James: I feel it appropriate to let both of you know that I think what you two did last was exactly what you should have done.

He looks at Ruby.

James: Ruby, you acted exactly how a huntress should. You recognized a threat, you took action, and you did the very best you could.

Then he looks at John.

James: And you. You had a man down and chose him over the mission. That was the right call. And it's not an easy one to make either. I may not know the British Army, but I do know that they're lucky to have a soldier like you.
John: Thank you, sir.

Now that the two were reassured, Ozpin decided now would be a good time to talk about what happened.

Ozpin: Now, the General here has already informed us of the events that... transpired last night. And Mr. Jaeger was able to tell us about the assailants amber eyes. We were wondering if you two had anything to add.
Glynda: Did she speak? Did she look familiar to you at all?

Ruby and John shook their head.

Ruby: We don't know. She was wearing a mask. She never said anything to us. But we know she fought with glass. I don't think that was her semblance, though. Her clothing lit up whenever she attacked.
John: Wait... save for the glass, that sounds like the woman Professor Goodwitch fought the night she met me and Ruby.
Glynda: Now that you say that, it does sound like that woman.
James: Embedding dust into clothing is an age old technique. It could have been anyone.

Ruby suddenly perks up.

Ruby: Wait... you think this woman has something to do with Torchwick and the White Fang?
John: If it's the same woman from that night, then it's definitely possible.
Ozpin: That it is. However, we still lack the required evidence to link the two together.

Then Ruby perks up again.

Ruby: Actually, I think I remember her saying something about a hideout in the south-east. Just outside the kingdom.
Ozpin: Interesting.
Glynda: I thought you said the intruder never-
Ozpin: Thank you for your cooperation, you two. Why don't you both go spend some time with your teams? You have a big day ahead of you.
John: Yes sir.
Ozpin: And one more thing. Please try and be... discreet about this matter.

Ruby and John turn and head towards the elevator. Before they enter, however, John remembered one more thing.

John: Actually, there is one more thing that I noticed about the intruder. She had a marking on her back, a tattoo I think. In fact, I was able to get a picture of it.

John takes out his scroll, pulls up the picture and shows it to Ironwood.

James: Interesting. Thank you, Private.
John: You're welcome, sir.

Ironwood hands John his scroll back, then he enters the elevator with Ruby.

Timeskip

Weiss: That was really risky.
Blake: No, I think you handled it well.
Alex: It was kinda both. Had Ozpin not intervened, they would have found out about our private investigation. And that would have been bad. But at least they know that there's trouble in the south-east.

Yang puts a hand on Ruby's shoulder.

Yang: I'm sure everything will be fine. Oh, by the way, dad sent something to us.
Ruby: Oooh, something from home!

Ruby reaches for the package that Yang is holding. Yang shakes the package once, and a small, black, cylindrical object falls out. The object begins to shake, then turns into a... small dog?

Ruby: ZWEIIII!!!
Arthur: Your Pa sent a dog in the mail? How did he even get it in the... what?
Yang: Oh, he does stuff like this all the time.
Dick: If he can get a Corgi into a package that small, makes me wonder what Christmas at your house is like.

John kneels down and pets the dog.

John: Heeey, I remember this little guy. He woke me up the day we left your island.
Weiss: What?
Blake: You've been to their house?
John: Yeah. The day I arrived on Remnant, they found me floating down the Patch River with shrapnel lodged in my side from German artillery. They brought me back to their house and took care of me.

The two teams' attention went back to the little corgi.

Weiss: Are you telling me that this mangy... drooling... mutt is gonna wiv with us fowever?! Oh yes he is! Oh yes he is!

Richard looks up and sees Blake sitting on Ruby's top bed.

Blake: Please keep it away from my belongings.
P.A.: Would all first year students please report to the amphitheater.

Team RWBY looks at the dog.

Weiss: Well, we can't exactly leave him here.
Yang: There's a letter. "Dear girls, I'm leaving the island for a few days, so I'm sending Zwei to you to take care of.".
Arthur: Wait, his name is Zwei?
Ruby: Yep.
Dick: You know what that means, right? There's a Ein! Maybe even a Drei!
Yang: What?
John: I'll let Penrich explain it when we get back.

Yang continues reading the note.

Yang: "Inside is all the food you should need. Love you both, Tai Yang.".

Yang turns the package upside down. Upon doing so, a giant mountain of dog food cans falls out.

Dick: Y'know, I sometimes forget how different Remnant is to Earth. Like how Remnant forgets the rules of physics from time to time.

Then a small can opener falls out.

Dick: Case and point. That dog has no thumbs. Yet I'm sure he'll find a way to use that.
Yang: Welp, that settles it. Come on guys, Zwei will be here when we get back.

While most of teams RWBY and WAAR had left the room, John and Ruby still remained. Ruby had a plan for Zwei, and John knew it.

John: I'd tell you no, but I know you're as stubborn as the two Marines.