Remembering a promise

Alex POV

I sit and watch Pyrrha kick team CRDL's asses. And, I gotta say, it's very entertaining to watch those four get their payback. Actually, Bronzwing's been a cool guy since the Ursa incident, but the rest of them deserve a can of whoop-ass.

When team CRDL is on the ground, Professor Goodwitch calls the match.

Glynda: And that's the match.
Cardin: Lucky shot...
Glynda: Well done, Ms. Nikkos. You should have no problem qualifying for the tournament.
Pyrrha: Thank you, Professor.
Glynda: Alright. I know that's a tough act to follow, but we have time for one more sparring match. Any volunteers?

Nothing in basic, Army or Marine, will ever prepare you for a fight with Pyrrha. Then again, it doesn't prepare you for another world, either. Ruby leans over to me.

Ruby: After that display, I don't blame you for hanging back.

Doesn't... blame me?

My breathing becomes more rapid and shaky. The words echo in my head. I don't blame you... I don't blame you... I don't blame you.

I suddenly start to see flashes... images of the war that I've been trying to suppress. I see the tower falling to the ground. I see the hotel explode again. I see the Panzer rolling down the ruined street. And I see the Nazi that killed him... and then I see him lying there, dying in my arms again.

No... no, not again... not again.

Glynda: Mr. Rube!

The professor's voice snaps me out of my trance.

Glynda: Mr. Rube, you seem to have been quite distant these last few weeks. Why don't you-
???: I'll do it.

I turn around and see Mercury Black raise his hand. He's a visitor from Haven whose here for the Vytal festival. I met him a few times after classes. He's a jackass, but in the sense that's slightly charming. Like me and my brother when we were kids... well, younger kids.

Glynda: Mercury, is it? Very well. Let's find you an opponent... ah. You will be sparring with Mr. Climmons.
Dick: Alright then. Good luck to you.
Mercury: You as well.

After grabbing his shotgun, Richard walks out onto the sparring grounds. He pumps his shotgun and they both wait for the match to begin. Once it starts, Mercury charges at Richard. But Dick stands his ground.

Once Mercury gets close enough, Richard pulls the trigger. The shotgun blast knocks Mercury back. He backflips to recover. Richard stands starts to circle Mercury. Mercury charges at him again. This time, Richard bashes his head with the butt of his shotgun, pumping it in the process. He shoots at Mercury, but Mercury dodges it and runs straight at Richard. He tries the kick him in the face, but Richard ducks under the foot and elbows Mercury.

Unfortunately, Mercury was close enough to knock the shotgun from Richard's hands. Then he kicked Richard, sending him flying in the opposite direction. Richard got back up and took out his combat knife. I really hope that Marines from the future are taught how to use those things in a similar situation.

Mercury charges at Richard. Richard ducks under his kick, then manages to hit Mercury in the face. Richard then slashes at Mercury, causing him to stumble back. Mercury tried to kick Richard again, but Richard had caught his foot and flipped Mercury onto his back.

Mercury got back on his feet and kicked Richard backwards into the wall. Then Richard got back up, then threw his knife at Mercury. He missed, but it distracted Mercury enough for Richard to pick up his shotgun.