Prologue

"His skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun white sockets in which they were set, his shriveled complexion and straight black lips.

"... I beheld the wretch- the miserable monster whom I had created. He held up the curtain of the bed; and his eyes, if eyes they may be called, were fixed on me. His jaws opened, and he muttered some inarticulate sounds, while a grin wrinkled his cheeks... I escaped, and rushed down stairs. I took refuge in the courtyard belonging to the house which I inhabited; where I remained during the rest of the night, walking up and down in the greatest agitation, listening attentively, catching and fearing each sound as if it were to announce the approach of the demonical corpse to which I had so miserably given life."

-Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley

That's not how our story began. There was no single person who made me. I made me.

My name is Francis Frankenstein. Victor was my brother. On that fateful night, that, woman, she had barged into one of our operations.

I had been laying on the table, our coils charged in case the operation took a turn for the worst as he placed a new heart into me. He was just stitching up the wound when she came in through the door. I had just sat up from the experience as I looked at her standing there, petrified in the door way. My eyes were wet because of the pain I had went through. My lips were blue from the loss of blood circulation.

The woman stood looking at my state of being as Victor slowly got up.

"Miss, where did you come from?" Victor asked. She whimpered slightly as I put my feet to the floor. Victor slowly started going to her, but that's when she ran, "Miss!" Victor yelled after her. I tried to tell him to catch her, but all that came out was grunts from lack of oxygen to my brain, "Stay here." Victor told me, as he ran out of the room after her.

I grunted as I limped to the door frame, holding my chest over my wound. I cried out in pain as I fell to my knees. I held onto the door frame tightly.

"There he is!" I heard someone yell out in the courtyard. I got up shakily.

"Grab him!"

"Please! I didn't do anything!" I heard Victor yelling at them.

"Victor," I grunted, leaning on the wall.

"You killed several people in the past five days."

"I didn't kill them!"

"Then who did?"

Don't do it, Victor. Please don't tell them.

It was quiet as I moved closer to the door and looked out, keeping behind the wall and in the shadows. Three men stood in cloaks with torches, one keeping the woman behind him. They had my brother backed against a tree.

"Check him." One ordered, and the second went to my brother and lifted his shirt, revealing his own scars.

The second looked back to first and third, "He's one of them."

Victor watched them, terrified and shaking in his feeble body.

"His brother must be in there, find him." The first ordered, and the third started coming to the house. I started going back.

"I did it!" Victor told them, and the third stopped and looked back to him.

"No," I said under my breath.