I

Jack...

I went through the files, the Book of the Damned opened on the table in front of me. I was trying to see if I could use the Codex before having to resort exactly to Regina trying to read it. Who knows what she could do if she got her hands on the Book.

I heard footsteps coming from down the hall and I shut the Book, slipping it into my bag and opening another book to replace it. I started looking like I was working on that instead. Cas walked in and paced to my side.

"I'm gonna head out for some grub. Any requests?" She asked.

"Pizza?" I asked.

She nodded, "Alright." She messed my hair, "Any progress on the files?"

I moved my hand over them to keep her from seeing, "Not really, but I'm hoping to get somewhere soon." I looked to her.

She looked to me from the papers, eyes focusing before she nodded. She fixed my hair, "I'll be back soon." She left up the stairs and I watched after her.

My phone started ringing.

"Yeah?" I asked, answering it.

"Hey, Jacky, I got nada on that Book, sorry." Ash said.

I sighed, "Damn, okay."

"Cas still fighting the Mark, or what?"

"She says she's fine and that she's handling it fine, but I don't think that's the case. She hasn't been herself."

"What has been herself?"

"I don't know, she's just been held up in her room more often, and when we get on a case, it's either all about the case or nothing about the case."

"What does that mean?"

"She's either wanting to kill whatever it is as soon as possible, or trying not to think about it by, well, boyfriend."

"She has a boyfriend?" He asked, "Who?"

"Fergus," I huffed.

"Fergus?" He asked as if I were kidding him.

"Yeah," I said, "She figures he's changed or something, but I'm not as sure."

"I don't think anyone would be," He said, "Does he come around often?"

"Warded bunker, weakens his powers, Cas mostly goes into hell to visit."

"She goes into hell for him?"

"She's working the crossroads."

"So she's turned into a little Jedicia, except for he didn't date a demon."

"Yeah, I guess when you put it that way, she's following in his footsteps, kind of."

"It was kind of inevitable, she's a demon."

"Yeah, I guess," I said, "Well, thanks Ash, have a good one."

"Yeah, you too, and Jack."

"Yeah?"

"With Cas having the Mark, and what it does to her, be careful."

I breathed heavily, then nodded, "Yeah, bye." I said, and hung up, not wanting to talk about it. I knew what this might do to me, to her, but I had to do something, right?

Cas...

I drove into town, then pulled to the side of the road in front of the pizza parlor. I went to the counter and the man looked at me.

"What can I get you?" He asked.

"Uh, medium pizza, cheese, pepperoni, ham and bacon," I said, getting out my wallet as he rung it up. I got out some bills and paid as he gave me the change. I put my wallet away and looked around as I got out of line to wait.