~Thirty Five~

Dedicated to Angell554

He tried not to look at her, yet he saw her, like the sun, even without looking.

                                                     Murakami.

                                ~Uthman~

'I'm filing for a divorce'

I stared at mom, no my stepmom or Aunty Wura, I don't even know what to call her at the moment. Divorce? I've always imagined them getting a divorce but not like this, not when I've already gotten used to her, not when I've already gotten used to her. Moji just burst into tears.

'Take your sister into her room'

Dad barked, his voice authoritative. I stood up just like mom, Aunty Wura also stood up.

'I'll tuck her in' She said and made to grab Moji's hands.

'No, not you. We have to talk. Uthman, are you deaf?'

I grabbed Moji's hands and started to drag her upstairs.

'We don't have anything to talk about

Aunty Wura replied and started to follow us up the stairs. Dad stood up and grabbed her hands albeit forcefully. I stopped. I hope he wasn't going to hit her.

'Uthman, go to your room.'

I still did not move. The truth is I don't know what atrocities my dad is capable of committing. I seriously don't want to be the son of the man who hits his wife.

'Are you deaf?'

He bellowed and I shuddered, dragging Moji into her room. She was still crying. I couldn't hear everything from my room but I could make pieces and bits of their discussion or was it an argument? I wasn't sure again.

'I'm not going to continue to slave for a man who continues to treat me like an idiot..... No, I'm filling for the custody of my daughter...... Nobody will talk me out of this... I already know I signed my life away when I agreed to marry you nine years ago..... Don't bring my father into this... Don't you even... You never for once acted as a father to your kids, not to talk of acting like a husband to me......... When was the last we talked, have we ever even talked... When was the last time we had........'

Dad said something I did not hear and then, feet climbing up the stairs, I heard their room's door open and close and then open and slammed shut again. I looked at Moji who was lying on her bed and dozing off, I wiped the tears on her cheeks just as the door to her room opened and Mom entered. There were tears in her eyes and she avoided looking at me as she said.

'Go to your room'

I stood up from the bed and she walked to the bed and laid on it. I figured out she was going to sleep here. I stepped out and leaned against the closed door. God! I'm not ready for what this will bring. That is if I even know what it will bring. I went to the stairs and I saw dad sitting dejectedly on a chair in the sitting room. The last time I saw him this dejected was when my mom died. He looked up and saw me. Then I watched him stand up, pick his car keys, and leave the house. He was going to bury himself in work again, like always instead of facing this head-on. I heaved a sigh and went back to my room but without the soft cries from Moji's room.

I did not even know whether I slept or not or if I had a sound sleep but I woke up the next morning. I dressed up slowly, not feeling the need to go to school.