tick tock. part one

season one, episode seven, part one.

YOU rested your head on your arms as you leaned over the edge of the ship, watching Zane from above the water. The five of you decided to see if he could beat his time record for holding his breath underwater. His previous record had been five minutes, but you were sure he'd been under there for longer than that.

"Ten minutes!" Kai shouted in disbelief. "He just broke his own record. The guy's inhuman!" he announced, looking down at the stopwatch in his hand. Zane's body emerged from the water, smiling and splashing as the four of you cheered for him. "We're not worthy," Jay awed, bowing. "I beat the record?" Zane wondered as you looked over at him. "You beat it up, dragged it through several bushes and threw it into the fiery pits of hell," you told him excitedly.

"I will take that as a yes," he smiled widely, climbing out of the water. "Okay, okay. Is anyone thinking what I'm thinking? We've been training for so long, I don't think we can get any better." Jay stated, using hand gestures to show. Cole kicked and punched the air in the background, clearly in a good mood. "Just think about all we've accomplished," Jay grinned proudly.

"The question should be raised, have we reached our full potential?" Zane asked thoughtfully. "Maybe we should go and ask Sensei," you proposed, to which they all agreed and began walking. Along the way, they began comparing themselves to see who was the best - aka, who was the green ninja. "Well, I do 500 pushups every morning," Zane told you, showing off. "Five hundred? Ha, try a thousand." Kai challenged, walking straight into Sensei's room. You followed behind, laughing at their antics. "Ha, ha. I do a thousand and one," Jay unquestionably lied.

"What is this, amateur hour? Sounds like my warm-up," Cole flexed, giving you a bold smirk. You shook your head, a small grin on your face. "Sensei, what does true potential look like if-" Cole tried to say, but instantly froze when he noticed Wu looked stern and conflicted. The five of you bowed in respect, "We're sorry for intruding, Sensei. We've interrupted you." you regretted, watching as the man held a large sword. He wrapped it up in a red and gold cloth before placing it in a small case. "I'm sorry if I've been distant lately. My mind has been elsewhere since Lloyd has gone missing." he sighed.

"You and me both," you muttered inaudibly, your face containing a hurt expression. "What can I help you with?" Sensei asked them respectfully.

"Sensei, what if we've done enough training? What if we've reached our full potential? What if we're ready?" Cole asked wondrously. "Heh. You might've reached peak physical condition, but you've yet to reach your inner potential," he opened.

"In each and every one of us, there are obstacles that hold us back. Only when you conquer that fear will your heart be free. Only then will you reach your full potential. Only then will we have a fighting chance to stop the serpentine from releasing the great devourer." the man taught passionately. "There's more to the great devourer than you've led on, isn't there, Sensei?" Zane asked him, placing an icy hand on his shoulder. "I too have obstacles within my own heart. There's a story I never told you." he breathed wistfully, preparing to tell the story. You imagined the scene in your head, ready to listen.

"Long ago, when I was a young boy, Garmadon and I were more than brothers. We were the best of friends." he began, but Jay interrupted. "Wait a minute, I know you two were brothers, but really? The King of Cruelty, the Doer of Destruction, the Captain of Chaos. And you two were friends?" Jay asked dramatically, swinging his arms around perilously. "Please, no interruptions," Sensei answered before proceeding.

"You see, he did not always have a wicked heart. One day, I lost this katana," he revealed, motioning to the glistening object. "Knowing our father would be mad, my brother told me to go retrieve it. But I refused. He told me not to put off what can be done today and went to get it himself. When my father found him, he was very ill. For he was bitten by a legendary snake that would grow forever as long as it consumes. A great evil had found its way into my brother's heart. For the snake's venom could turn the purest of things wicked. The snake is the same one the serpentine want to re-awaken today. It is the snake that took my brother away from me."