Chapter 15

JC

It's been a few weeks and Yve took her finals, she just studied at home and I'm proud of her for acing her exams as usual. She did say she'd be all set for next semester which meant she's going back to school, just as I thought.

Dad took on Miggs's case, I asked him to and also because he found out about the family of the other car and he wanted to help them. It appears they were just regular employees who worked for a living. Luckily they owned the small house they were living in and somehow their parents got insurance.

Dad has plans of putting up a scholarship for orphaned children. We're all helping out to put it up and between the family and our staff, we think we can set it up with minimum cost.

Miggs woke up after 72 hours and he couldn't feel his legs, or his lower body for that matter, from his chest down. Dad was able to operate on him so at least he had little control over his upper body. It needs to be strengthened before they could operate again. This was what he meant about long term rehabilitation.

Dad suggested he be transferred to a normal private room because all expenses would be based on the room and his mom wanted to remain in the suite. Dad had a hard time explaining to her the double expenses they would incur if she kept it up. In the end, Miggs's dad transferred him to a private room.

Dad saw him a few times and Miggs wasn't happy to see him, I look like my dad with the Spanish features from my mom, but you'd know we're related. Dad told me Miggs once asked him how Yve was, knowing he was in the hospital, with most of his body paralyzed still, because of her.

Dad almost lost his cool but had his wits about him before he told him that Yve's doing fine, that she left him, yes, but what he did as a reaction to that is not Yve's fault. And it happened months ago. He told me and I quote, Yve didn't make you drink, you decided to drink to drown your sorrows. She didn't make you get into your car, you drove off on your own knowing you were dead drunk and killed innocent victims in the process. It's time you own up to your actions and not continuously blame others for them.

There was still the court case he needs to face. If he's convicted, he may face prison time.

Miggs's dad was there, and he heard it all. Miggs was staring at him with fury when dad told him, my son JC was the one who requested I take you as a patient, do not make me regret having said yes to him. He and Yve are happy, and they're in love.

He told me Miggs asked why was it that Yve looked sick during the party, as if she's been through something terrible and he couldn't help himself, he was mad at what Miggs was insinuating so he told me that he said it's none of your business but if you should know, Yve wanted to give JC a child without telling him because she knew how much he wanted one, what she didn't know is that JC changed his mind and wanted it to be just the two of them for a while.

Anyway, dad told him it was an ectopic pregnancy which meant there was no chance that it would've survived. And that's the reason why she looked a little sick, she lost a lot of blood and JC and I both agreed we didn't want to risk blood transfusion so we opted for medication. He said he added that it was the beauty of knowing about alternatives because you have options.

He said he was speechless by then and asked, she got pregnant? And dad told him that she did. That she wanted to give me, JC, a child, at least one before she graduates. But then he told him that I was able to convince Yve that she was my baby and I wanted it that way for a while, say a few years. They're perfectly happy together, I think you too felt how much they love each other. That's what drove you to drink that night, right? Seeing firsthand how in love they both are.

Dad said he looked like a broken man all over again. It was Miggs's dad who reminded him, they're married and they will start their own family sooner or later and dad said that Miggs said, she wouldn't bend or change her plans for me and he cried.