Chapter 18

YVE

JM and JC went down to the lobby while Leah and I stayed in the suite.

"Thanks Lei." I said again.

"For what?" She asked.

"For making me realize how silly and stupid I was with what I did." I said.

She threw a pillow at me and we both laughed. "Seriously though, talk to JC when something's bothering you, he loves you so much you know." She said.

"I know. I'll try harder next time." I said.

"Maybe it would be better without a next time." She said.

"I really can't be sure, as much as it seems like we know each other so well, we really have a long way to go." I said.

"I know, but you're also the one who told me that when you know, you just know. And with the love you guys have for each other, you can do anything. Just don't shut everyone out Yve, especially your husband. You can tell him anything. He will always listen to you."

"I'll keep that in mind, and taking it to heart." I said solemnly.

"You should. He's crazy about you."

"But still, thanks to you and Ethan." I said.

"You're welcome. And well, you saved me earlier today too, so let's call it even." She said and we both laughed again.

When our laughter died down I wanted to ask her something about my miscarriage. "Lei, what happened while I was out, during my miscarriage, I mean." I said.

"With JC? Dad was there and so was JC. The best OB was called in, the chief resident was the one who was in charge, but JC never left your side. And when your heart rate dropped considerably, he was ready to do anything. Let's just say he became a doctor that night, not your COO husband. And mind you, he would've been a great doctor. He has the passion for it. Or maybe it was because it was you."

"What was different was his expression, he looked like a man who was between this world and the next. I guess you could say if something happened to you that night, it wouldn't just be you." I looked at her perplexed.

"What I mean is he probably wouldn't die physically, but he'd be dead inside. It was actually scary. Even your parents saw it. You are their only child but it was different with JC. It seems as if you're his only reason for living."

I took a deep breath, I needed to hear that, to understand the worry and anxiety I saw in his eyes. Now I know why.

"Thanks Lei. I thought it was something like that." I said.

"Yeah, well, don't give us another scare like that, ok?" She said.

"I won't. I want to grow old with JC. Like really old." I said.

"Yeah, how long do you think we'd still be desirable to our husbands?" She said thinking dirty thoughts by the look on her face.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, pretending not to know.

"Just exactly what I said, how long do you think our husbands would want to keep making love to us?" She said.

"I don't want to think about it." I said. "I mean we're barely in our twenties."

"What would we look like if we're 70 and we were still trying to seduce our husbands?" She said and this caused us to burst into laughter. The picture wasn't pretty at all.

"Well, we still have about 50 years before we get to that point." I told her, trying to keep a serious face before I burst out laughing and she joined in.