Chapter 20

JC

I was going to the dealership with Ryan, Carl and Dan for a few hours this morning. We were on our way when I got a call from dad. "Jace, could you come over to the hospital for a while?" He asked.

"Sure dad. Is there a problem?" I asked. Dad doesn't ask me to come over unless it's urgent.

"Not really. I'll tell you when you get here." He said.

"Ok dad." He disconnected the line.

"Guys, do you mind coming with me to the hospital to see dad?" I asked them.

"No problem dude. We'd like to come see your dad working." Ryan said.

"Ok man. Thanks." I said before I dialed my wife's number.

"Hi honey." She said. I miss her already.

"Hi honey. We'll be much later than what I said, dad wants me to come see him for a bit at the hospital." I told her.

"Sure thing honey. Take all the time you need, I'll be here when you get back, ok?" She said.

"Ok honey. I love you." I said.

"I love you too. Take care, ok?" She said.

"Ok. Bye."

"What did she say?" Ryan asked once I've disconnected the line.

"Take all the time I need." I said.

"You are so lucky man." Ryan said.

"As if Megan doesn't do everything you want her to." I said. A certain look crossed his face then that I'm sure something's definitely wrong.

"That's just it man, she just does everything I ask her to. It's getting old pretty fast. She doesn't seem to have a life other than the one she shares with me, and she's too clingy. And she fails miserably in keeping boundaries." He said as we drove to the hospital.

"Why don't you guys talk about it?" I said.

"I don't know man, we don't really talk much about anything. Like I said, it's getting old pretty fast." He said.

"She loves you man. That must count for something." Dan said.

Ryan was quiet. I've known him since kindergarten, and he's never been in a relationship this long, he just does flings at the most. I had to ask, "What's the next step in your relationship with Megan?" I asked.

"There's no next step Jace. I don't do serious and I'm not into moving in together and marriage is definitely off the table for us." He said. "That's the problem, she wants more from me. She wouldn't say anything but I know so, the way she looks at me. And then seeing two couples about to tie the knot has got her thinking."

"It's off the table for you two, but is it off the table for you?" I asked.

"Well, not really. I mean, when I find the right one, like you did, then I'd take the plunge." He said.

Why do I feel like I'm missing something relevant? His answer completely blanked me out. Before I could ask though, we've arrived at the hospital. I'll just save it for another day.

As soon as I parked the car I called dad to let him know we've arrived.

He asked me to go to the conference room in the floor where Miggs is. I'm not sure I like this, but I trust dad. I'm pretty sure this has something to do with Miggs.

As soon as I opened the door to the conference room, I saw Miggs's parents seated with dad.

Bingo!