Bloodied Hands

Ch.5

Did the King tolerate you? The message you got yesterday was him telling you that he couldn't care less if you were shot with arrows and tossed into the river. You doubt he would request for your body to be found. He was so cold to you, scolding you and making you feel worthless. Then all you did was smile back at him and agreed to his words. Sighing heavily, you tossed and turned in your bed. The King wasn't making sense though! After he gave you a harangue, he insisted you shadow him and taught you how to open your jewelry box. Why would he do that if he couldn't stand the sight of you? He said that clearly in his own words too!

He made it a big point to tell you how much he hated your very existence. Next thing you know, he's carefully explaining to you how to open it. The King makes no sense! You still couldn't please him. Currently, your new tactic was to act exactly like Hwayoung. Almost like a dead person who follows orders. A little rude, but it was the truth. It was exactly how the angels were trained to behave. Sitting up in your bed, you reached for the jewelry box. You closed it before going to bed in hopes that you would remember how to open it in the morning. Biting your lip, you carefully went through the fourteen steps the King showed you.

In the time you were practicing on opening it repeatedly, the other angels woke up and got ready for the day. Solji was the first out as always. She made sure to announce that everyone needs to be awake in an hour. Hyojin slept through that, but Jeonghwa heard it loud and clear. You ignored the screaming as you worked on the fifth step. You occasionally get confused with the six pieces the puzzle uses repeatedly and the order. Hwayoung jumped off her back, running a hand through her hair as she stared down at you. She blinked at the box with a sigh.

"Is that the noise?" She asked. You smiled shyly, realizing how much noise this box must be making to open.

"I've watched her open it four times. Four times!" Heeyeon sat up in her bunk. "All times were incredibly slow that I think I memorized the pattern myself."

"Ah, sorry...I didn't know I was being so loud." You frowned. Hwayoung shook her head softly as she began to brush her hair. Hyelin was up, scratching her behind as she went searching for her armor. Heeyeon stretched her arms, laughing at the sight. "I just want to make sure I remember it. The King opened it for me and told me not to ask for his help anymore."

"Well, I memorized it. I can help you if you need it." Heeyeon smiled as she carefully climbed down from her bed.

"Thank you, Unnie." You bowed your head. Setting the box aside, you figured it was time you get ready yourself.

Hyelin woke up after you yet she was already heading out the door. Half asleep but doing better than you. A sigh left your lips as Jeonghwa followed after with a bounce to her steps. She managed to wake up Hyojin who kept grumbling complaints. You couldn't understand, but it was pretty clear she would have wanted to sleep in. Hwayoung and you held in laughter when Heeyeon began to scold the older. She better not complain so much in front of the King when the month long journey begins. That only caused Hyojin to whine some more and threaten to hit Heeyeon. She may look tough to everyone else, but Hyojin is quite the feminine type.

"Whining like a little girl!" Heeyeon clicked her tongue as she opened the door.

"Aish, who raised you?" Hyojin scoffed in attempts to hide her laughter. The two walked out, leaving Hwayoung and you the only ones left in the angel quarter.

Hyojin got ready faster this time around. That almost made you want to praise her. Besides Jeonghwa typically having to wake Hyojin up, Heeyeon has done so too. Instead of banging on the bed or tugging at the blankets, Heeyeon usually climbs in and starts aggressively cuddling Hyojin. At that point, no one can ignore the screaming coming from the angel's quarters. All your angels are so loud. As you brushed your own hair, Hwayoung placed the hairpin inside her hair. She made sure it was placed securely in her hair before walking over to get the last two uniforms left in the room. You didn't have to say anything for her to leave yours on your bed.