Duty

Ch.19

The journey so far has been quite the delight. It keeps getting better and better in your opinion. It did have its moments where you hated it, but you adored what it did for all your friends. The angels were happier than you had ever seen them. None of them were being restricted to act a certain way. They were more like their true selves. More than you had ever seen in the quarters all of you shared. Then Namjoon was the same way. He was awkward at first but was beginning to break out of his shell. He looked like an intimidating and cruel King...in reality he was anything but.

The King was absolutely adorable in your eyes. It was just little things that he did that made your heart swoon. Sometimes watching him struggle to tie the ribbon on his gat or when he pouted like a child. He so badly wanted to help the angels with something, but none of you wanted to risk him getting hurt. He's best left sitting and waiting for all of you. It made you feel so warm inside to know he cared and wanted to help. He's such a kind King. That was something you had to remind yourself of constantly. His title still exists even if the two of you are outside the palace.

Though your mind would get lost on your feelings, you were quick to bring yourself back into reality. There was no time to have thoughts like that. No matter how badly you wanted to adore him in a different sense. That should be an easy task, right? It's not like you're battling three men at once and yet you were struggling to an unfair degree. It felt as the days passed, your affection towards Namjoon grew. It didn't help that the King would act a certain way towards you that was different compared to the other angels. You didn't know how to perceive it since there was no possible way he could look at you as something more. You're only a mere angel to him. His shadow.

Then your mind would refuse and replay certain moments with him in your head. They were constant, questioning what exactly was going on between the both of you as days passed. Namjoon pulling you aside and almost throwing a fit when you didn't have your hairpin on, Namjoon getting overly worried when you almost burned yourself creating a fire, and Namjoon trying to follow you as you retrieved wood in the forest. You figured these were all friendly gestures. Frankly, calling some of them friendly was a bit reaching but calling it something else made you feel like you were delusional. There is no way Kim Namjoon, King of Goguyreo, could ever possibly feel the same towards you.

You don't even know what your feelings are in the first place. Maybe you're just desperate to have what Hwayoung has with Seungwon. She's going to leave you it seems in the future. That's something you still try not to be bitter on or think about often. Latching onto Namjoon is like replacing her as your best friend and then considering him something more was selfish. Greedy. Against Fate completely. But then the two of you would be alone in the woods and Namjoon would request to hold your hand. He would stay close to you, pretend to protect you and say things like he didn't want you getting hurt even though you were more than willing to get a scratch or two protecting him. Whenever you said that, it only upset him. Shouldn't that be expected from you? You just wanted to forget your feelings and live peacefully, but then he went off saying those things.

The most you could do was shrug and become silent. Namjoon could get really moody when you talked about your duties as an angel for some reason. You could barely talk to him about it which was frustrating. It's literally your entire life. It's the entire reason you were born in the first place and it happens to be a sensitive topic for him. You suppose you just won't mention it around him even though it defines you're very existence. It's fine. Sighing as you rode Happy, you noticed Heeyeon point something out to Solji in excitement. That unnie was close to falling off her horse. What is she doing? The others began to notice until the sound came rushing into your ears.

Water.

"I was right! And you told me to be quiet!" Heeyeon laughed as Solji frowned at her.

"Is that a waterfall?" Hyelin asked, lifting up her head.