Embrace

Ch.23

When Hwayoung said she wanted to go to the Crown Prince's chamber, you thought she was just eager to perform her job as an angel. You believed she wanted to be an amazing shadow for the Crown Prince. It was something that the other angels were believing as well. Solji even praised Hwayoung for wanting to get her work done. She woke up early, dressed fast, and was ready to head out while you were struggling to put on your armor. You thought it was very admirable of Hwayoung to see her passionately performing her Fate. But you were wrong. So were the rest of the angels who fell for the trick.

Hwayoung and you were fifteen. The two of you were always together, training or learning the same lessons with one another. Despite that, the two of you still had very different lives. While you were happy to feed the fishes in the pond, Hwayoung had a lover. You liked taking walks around the palace and humming tunes from your childhood. Hwayoung experienced her first kiss and received a present from Seungwon. There was a clear difference and you'd be lying if you said you weren't the slightest bit jealous. Why wasn't there a handsome young man working at the palace for you too? They were all old and frustrating to talk to. It wasn't fair.

Then seeing as Hwayoung and Seungwon were always looking for excuses to be together, she even used the Crown Prince as a reason. If she's in his chamber then she gets to be as private as she wants with Seungwon in broad daylight. There were no other servants or guards in the room. Namjoon would usually have them all outside the minute his angels arrived or even just Seungwon. Still, you genuinely thought she wanted to be the best angel for the Crown Prince. She's a great fighter and will protect him if the situation calls for it, but as of right now...hugging Seungwon wasn't necessarily saving the nation.

You stood awkwardly near the front doors. There was nothing in particular for you to do. All you're assigned to do is stand in his chamber and protect the Crown Prince at the first sign of trouble. Instead you had to witness Seungwon giving Hwayoung forehead kisses. Sighing to yourself, you tried to ignore how jealous you were. Not a single cute boy your age is in this palace giving you forehead kisses. Crossing your arms, you figured you might as well just do your job. If you have to! Your eyes slowly traveled over to the Crown Prince who sat behind a table, drinking tea.

Namjoon was fifteen just like you and Hwayoung. Seungwon was the oldest one in the room at seventeen. As you watched Namjoon, you wondered if he was at all bothered by his best friend's actions. Those two were getting distracted but as long as they didn't bother him then Namjoon tolerated just about anything. His hatred of servants seemed to grow every passing year. The less people he had around him, the better. That was something he constantly fought about with his mother. The Queen wished he would just listen to her. He just didn't want them for some reason.

"You're so pretty." Seungwon smiled as she blushed.

"And you're handsome." Hwayoung giggled.

"No one's calling me pretty," You muttered. This actually bothered you a lot. Maybe you did want some passionate romance. Something that would just last for the summer. It didn't even have to be a long term thing like Hwayoung's relationship! It would be nice if a boy from a noble family was suddenly introduced and stuck around the palace. He would be attracted to you instantly and ask you to meet at midnight. With some convincing, you would go and then the two of you would share a kiss! You whined at the thought. Why couldn't that be true? You made a bitter expression, glaring at nothing in particular until you noticed you were making this face at the Crown Prince. Your angry eyes connected with his, causing him to raise a brow at you.

Oh no.

Your entire face turned pink to have been caught in a misunderstanding like that. Shaking your head, you panicked in front of the Crown Prince's eyes. You kept squirming until you told yourself to properly apologize for being so careless. This is the Crown Prince you're talking about. You can't just pretend it was nothing. Dragging your feet over him, you didn't bother looking over at the couple. They were so madly in love that they didn't notice anyone else was in the room with them. You highly doubted they even knew where they were. Biting your lip, you bowed deeply for the Crown Prince. He only watched you silently as you took in a breath.