Old Friend

[Chang Hwayoung]

Ch.13

Namjoon hadn't realized how much befriending Jeonghwa would change things. The two of you still got your moments alone, but he had another friendly face among him. She obviously wasn't as close to him as you were. That was something she would have to work on, but now Namjoon could comfortably talk to her at least. He wasn't awkwardly fidgeting or giving her the cold shoulder anymore. Now he knew her and got along well. Jeonghwa is a sweet girl and Namjoon occasionally speaks to her on his own. It was something the other angels were beginning to notice. His friendliness towards you and Jeonghwa was happening naturally. Next on the list was Chang Hwayoung.

Another target that they would easily understand. She's his other shadow. Another part of him and you. Hwayoung is your closest friend so you know practically every detail about her. Even some of the things she probably wouldn't want you to know. Though you're doing your best to ignore those thoughts and focus on the trip. Helping Namjoon gain friends was important too! Namjoon told you that Hwayoung was colder than he was to anyone but Seungwon. You immediately had to disagree since Hwayoung wasn't a cold person. That was a complete misunderstanding. She can be easily misunderstood, but you wanted Namjoon to know that your best friend has a pure heart. She can be very warm when she wants to be!

It almost surprised you how much Namjoon didn't think he could befriend Hwayoung. He used to get along with her a bit when you guys were youngers. What was the difference now? But Namjoon for some reason wanted to move her to the end of the list and claimed Solji would be easier than her. That you weren't so sure about. At least he's close friends with Seungwon and her fate is also surrounded around Namjoon. She's close to him in that way. You just hope she won't resent him in any way. Biting down on your tongue, you reminded yourself to get those poor thoughts out of your head. You wish you hadn't seen the conversation between the two lovers. It would save you from all these distractions.

A part of you wanted to ask Namjoon about it. Then again, that would only cause problems. From what you remember from that night is that Namjoon is aware the two want to get married and they want to leave their titles. What he doesn't know is that they plan to leave no matter the answer he gives them. It was none of your business no matter how much you wanted to say something to Hwayoung. It always stuck in the back of your head and you wished it would disappear. Right now you wanted to focus on helping Namjoon befriend her. You wanted him to see how great she is and hopefully not hate her if she does runaway with his best friend if he says no in the end.

The right window was open, allowing you to peer inside the carriage. Namjoon was sitting inside with his hair done up in a bun as he wore a gat. The black ribbon was tied under his chin while beads laid against his chest. He wasn't dressed like he did back in the palace, but he was still handsome. Almost unnecessarily handsome. He kept his eyes forward despite feeling your gaze. Mainly because he knew you would tell him to open the left window already. You wanted him to have the guts to look at Hwayoung in the first place. For some reason he didn't even want to acknowledge her, claiming that she was Seungwon's woman and not for him to even look at.

"It's not like you're trying to seduce her." You hissed. You knew he could hear you with the way he swallowed. Seungwon couldn't care less if Namjoon glanced at his lover. The reason being because Seungwon wasn't the type to get jealous so easily and he knew Namjoon better than anyone. The male has no charms when it comes to women. Unfortunately for him, he's stuck with seven of them and soon to be eight when Lady Eunchae joins you all. He better improve now. "King."

"Are you threatening me?" Namjoon kept his gaze straight forward.

"I would never." You frowned, doing your best to keep your voice low. "I only want you to see that Hwayoung is not so bad. Open the window."