Guilt

Ch.6

The meaning of what it meant to be a guardian angel to the King was getting blurred. This time it wasn't done by you. Rather than protecting the King last night from enemies, he had you stand in the small bath house with him. You didn't do anything unless it was under his instruction. The two of you stayed silent for the longest time. It wasn't until the King was shivering under the cold water that there was finally some progress. It started with you begging him to get out so he doesn't get sick and him refusing. You soon realized this was his way of punishing himself for what happened in the courtyard. It was after this that you began to talk to the King and help sort out his feelings.

He acted out of pure emotions. There seemed to be some history between this eunuch and the King. Now it took over and he really thought he would be able to handle the aftermath. He's King so he shouldn't care about killing an unloyal servant yet it bothered him. He didn't have the tough skin that a King should have when ruling over an entire nation. That came as no surprise to you seeing as he typically shut himself in his old room to read and stayed with Seungwon all the time. He's barely turned King and already killed someone? It's not something to take lightly.

The King felt like he was going mad by himself. Keeping your eyes only on his face, you admitted that killing someone was never easy. It was the first time the King listened to you without waiting to insult you. He stared at you, hoping for comfort as you recounted the first time you had to take someone's life. You were only sixteen around that time. They grabbed a criminal from the royal investigation bureau for each angel. It was something you didn't want to do until Hwayoung reminded you that it was your fate. Their fate was to die. Lying to yourself that it would be okay, you killed the criminal. They weren't a good person and it was your job yet you had trouble living with yourself for a while. Eventually the body count to your sword increased, but the number was still pretty low compared to the older angels.

You hoped that you were able to make a small connection with the King. Something to allow him to realize that these are just the times that you both live in. There's the saying that a King has no friends, but you wished to make him feel that security. You're his angel. He shouldn't worry around you. After revealing your own truth, he finally left the bath in a hurry. His body was pale and blue from how long he stayed in the water. He refused to let you heat up stones to make it tolerable in the slightest for him. You rushed to get a blanket, covering his bare form and staying with him on the floor again. It was night by the time he allowed you to go back to the angel quarters. In return, Seungwon had to come and take care of the King for the rest of the night.

He'll take care of the King well. Thankfully the angel's quarters wasn't too far. It was a short walk and you weren't sure if that was a good thing or not. A part of you wanted a long walk to think about everything that had just happened with the King. Was there going to be a chance of him treating you kindly after this? Not once did he treat you coldly after the conversation in the bath. He didn't take back any nice gestures or speak to you as if you were dirt. Still, you couldn't be too sure. Arriving at the quarter, you pushed open the door to see the rest of the angels already inside. They were getting ready for bed until you stepped in. How badly you wished they were tucked under their covers, sound asleep.

"(F/n)!" Jeonghwa dropped her hairbrush. All the angels had wide eyes to see you standing at the door. Did they not expect you to return?

"Hello..." You nervously tucked a strand of hair behind your ear. Having so much attention on you was embarrassing.

"How is the King?" Hyojin asked, sitting up on her bunk. The rest of them went silent since that was the main question on their minds. Their eyes stared at you intensely as you inched towards your own bed.