Nonsense

Ch.21

I will not give up.

His words were haunting you more than they should have. You wanted to ignore him and brush off his words. He couldn't mean it. There is no way he would be that stubborn to chase after someone like you. He would be a fool to do so since this entire mission was to get him married to another woman in the first place. You hope Namjoon doesn't follow through with anything. Even if you dreamed in your sleep to hold his hand and cross meadows with him, you needed those to stay in your head. Let them stay dreams and nothing more. Namjoon should do the same.

The two of you didn't speak to each other the entire time that night. You felt too sensitive to speak. If anyone even looked at you the wrong way, you had a feeling you would burst into tears all over again. Namjoon's eyes were red and it was evident he wasn't in the best mood. Solji didn't bother to ask him about it. The King was glaring anytime someone tried to pry. He wanted to keep his eyes on you. Anytime he would look at you, his gaze would melt and become gentle. You were a small dove in his eyes. He wanted to protect you from everything. The most Namjoon could ask for at the moment was for you to keep the hairpin in your hair.

A part of you was contemplating returning it to him. It was a thought that drifted into your head when you were struggling to sleep. That thought didn't help one bit. All it did was make you cry silently while everyone slept peacefully. They were left in the dark like they should be. You didn't want to get rid of the hairpin. It was the first gift you ever received. The only thing that represented your family with the emblem of the little bird. Was it selfish of you to want to keep this when you rejected Namjoon's feelings? You held the pin tightly as you tried to sleep. Slight shuffling got you to open your eyes again, alert only to see Namjoon scooted closer to you.

"What are you doing?" You whispered.

"Keep it." Namjoon reached his hand out to wipe your tears. Your heart was pounding, your throat tight as you let him comfort you. Stick to your promise. Clearing your throat, Namjoon frowned at you. He wanted to do what he pleased. He placed his hand on top of yours, the same one that was clutching onto the hairpin. "I love you."

"Stop saying that." You shook your head.

"Sleep well, my love." Namjoon smiled.

You wanted to sigh at the way he was behaving. He wasn't helping your heart. Your chest was aching and you felt cold the moment he retracted his hand from yours. Honestly, you felt pathetic. Greedy as well. You wanted him to call you endearing names, to comfort you whenever you feel down, and to hold your hand. Biting your lip, you did your best not to let yourself even have such thoughts. Rejecting him meant that you couldn't keep thinking this way. It was for the best. Everything you're doing is following his mother's words. Getting him to Lady Eunchae so he can produce a pure blood heir was her last wish. While you could give Namjoon your life, you could never give him a pure blood. That alone told you to stay in your place.

Sleeping was the hardest that night. You barely got any of it while the rest of the angels were well rested. All of them were walking with straight postures meanwhile you were practically hunching over. Resisting the urge to yawn was slowly becoming your main focus. Normally, that would get on your nerves but if that wasn't on your mind then you would be focusing on something else. Specifically, someone else. Namjoon had his gat on with the brim pulled down. He did that just so he could stare at you without any of the angels asking. Can't he look at someone else? Or even a tree! A bird! Anything other than you because you know for certain that you can't possibly be that interesting.

Unfortunately it wouldn't take long for you to fully wake up. The urge to yawn would naturally leave you as the day went on. You tried to remain oblivious to gaze and he knew that. It was obvious in his eyes. Namjoon had been staring at you in hopes of breaking you down. Also because he enjoyed looking at you. Plus, he needed to think up an idea. He needed to get you alone somehow without anyone interrupting. Only then can he seduce you. Well, not exactly seduce but at least get you to admit you feel the same way. He knew you did. It was heavily implied, but he wants to hear those three words. He wants to see them leave your lips. He also wanted to kiss those lips. Seungwon's little lesson kept popping up in his head.