Start of a Journey

Ch.10

It was a miracle that you were able to sleep at all. After witnessing the exchange between Hwayoung and Seungwon, you stopped yawning entirely. You felt wide awake from the shock. It was one thing to hear that Hwayoung and Seungwon were allowed to marry and another thing to hear that they were planning on running away together. With the King's permission or not. It left you feeling so baffled. It didn't make sense to you on why Hwayoung would actually accept that. It also left you stunned that Seungwon would even suggest such a thing in the first place. Was Hwayoung actually going to keep it a secret? Or would she eventually reveal it to you? Only time would tell. For now you were left with watching how things play out.

Exhaustion eventually put you to sleep. You could have slept until the afternoon, but that wasn't possible. Today was the day the angels left the palace with the King for the month long journey. Everyone in the entire nation of Goguryeo must have been asleep except for those aware of the mission. Solji was the first to wake in the cold early morning hours. The sun still hadn't risen, but it would be in a few hours. You only got a few hours of sleep, but that was enough to last you hours of riding. Eventually all of you would set up a quick camp to sleep then continue the journey. That would be the plan Solji hoped to keep consistently.

Solji woke everyone up, ordering them to put on their uniforms already. This time Hyojin couldn't complain nor could Hyelin. They silently moved around with the rest of you. You were shivering as you put on your cold uniform. It felt heavier than normal on your sleepy body. Others were quicker at getting ready than you. Solji was out the door with Heeyeon to wake the King while Jeonghwa went off to check the horses. Hyelin patted Hyojin's back as they walked out to follow the order Solji gave them. They had to prepare the wagons and meet up with Jeonghwa. Then you were taking longer than intended. Even Hwayoung was finished while you were doing your best to open the jewelry box. Inside was your hairpin and Namjoon would get mad if you didn't wear it.

"Leave the pin and let's go." Hwayoung stood by the door. "Wear a ribbon."

"It's an important gift..." You trailed off as you finally opened the box. Finally! It always took you so much time. You already knew you would forget how to open it once you come back. Hopefully Namjoon won't mind helping you with it. Moving quickly, you rushed to pull up your hair as Hwayoung became impatient.

"Ready?" She asked, pushing open the door.

"Yes! Let's go!" You stood up, running outside as you placed the pin tightly in your hair. Hwayoung chuckled to herself as the two of you hurried over to join the others with the wagon and horses. The walk over was completely silent. Nothing was wrong in Hwayoung's eyes, but you were certainly guilty of feeling different. You continuously glanced at her, wondering if she would admit anything or keep it a secret.

"Our unnie's should be bringing the King here soon." Hwayoung waved at Jeonghwa. The youngest was jumping as she waved back. It looked like she had Hyelin and Hyojin tying up the horses to the wagon and carriage. One carried goods while another was responsible for carrying the King. He would sit comfortably inside his carriage without anyone knowing who was in there. Someone of high status at most.

While Hwayoung spoke with Jeonghwa, you walked over to Happy. His tail was swaying gently as you brought your hands up to his face. He was calm at this early hour. Smiling brightly at him, you couldn't help petting your horse. Happy is so cute! You had to look over your shoulder a few times just in case the angels looked over. They would ask what you were doing and maybe scold you. Everything you were doing was innocent so you wished you didn't have to feel so guilty about it. Happy neighed when you heard extra voices. Grabbing Happy's reins, you face the direction of the sounds to see Solji and Heeyeon with Namjoon in between them. He yawned, barely listening to the information Solji was giving him.