Resent

Ch.16

Namjoon's P.O.V.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Somehow I was successful in gaining Heeyeon as a friend. For a second I thought she would refuse and remind me of the old saying. Slowly, I was scratching away at tradition and creating my own relationships with the angels. It was completely different from how my father's angels acted around him. They always stood tall and straight like soldiers. Moving in lines as if they were one without having to speak to each other. Father only had to make a single command and their bodies moved on reflex. They trained hard all their lives. It was drilled into them and the same had occurred with my own except for a few differences. My relationship with my angels has always been more relaxed compared to my father's.

My father passed away when I was twelve. That caused a lot of people to go into a deep depression. Though the nation was doing its best to move forward, it's what happened inside the palace walls that is haunting. Hyojin's mother was my father's shadow. She was born the same year as him so she was connected to him in a spiritual level. Once my father was gone, she felt like she had lost all her meaning. All the angels didn't know what to do with themselves even though they were raising future angels. Hyojin's mother unfortunately took her own life which affected the previous angels even more. At that point, none of them could take it anymore and left. They went their separate ways to live quietly outside of the palace.

They left senior guards in charge of training their daughters. A lot of pressure was also put on the older angels as well. Solji has been given the greatest pressure since she was the oldest. Since the age of seventeen, she's been left in charge of making sure the angels grow into fierce guards. Hyojin was only fifteen at the time but she didn't want Solji to take all the responsibility alone. She worked hard to help her fellow angel despite losing a parent. One of the worst pains that I still struggled coping with. Sickness took my parents away yet her mother chose it on her own. It was hard to tell whatever was going on in Hyojin's head. She lived life with a cold attitude that I never bothered to melt.

Now it looks like it was about time for me to finally get through that barrier. (F/n) promises me that Hyojin isn't as cold as she seems. There have been a few instances on this trip where I've seen examples of that. Sort of. She finds amusement in using Jeonghwa's biggest fear against her. I hardly ever see the woman smile. She always seems frustrated and annoyed by the other angels. Then there is the literal fact that her job is the executioner for me. Hyojin is meant to kill anyone I ask first before the other angels. She's seen more death than the others and is responsible for leading torture at the royal investigation bureau. Swallowing hard, I was doing my best not to have regrets about this.

"You'll be fine, Namjoon..." I told myself. I wasn't very convincing either.

It was actually incredibly frustrating. I have no idea how to approach Hyojin compared to Heeyeon and I have a vague idea on how to talk to Solji. There has never really been a time where Hyojin and I just talked. Alone. Whenever she watched over me when I was young, she was silent and staring like a hawk. Solji would always appear too and she was a lot more nurturing as my physician. Hyojin's patience with me also appeared thin from when we were at the market. I broke the compass and only got on her nerves despite being King. I just know I did! She didn't have to say it, but I could feel it.

"I also used her sword to kill an eunuch out of nowhere...you impulsive b*stard," I swore.

Immediately, I shook my head to get those bad memories out of my head. I hated thinking about that day. Today is meant to befriend Hyojin and not get stuck on the past. Though deep down I wondered if she ever blamed me. She couldn't blame my father for what happened. He passed away first, but what if I was as close as it got for Hyojin? She could resent me secretly for losing her mother. That was a fear of mine yet I couldn't let it take over my mindset. There's no way Hyojin would feel that way. There's no proof towards it. She may seem distant, but only because of everything she's been through. If (F/n) loves her and says she's kind then I'll believe her.