Challenge

Ch.15

Namjoon had successfully befriended four of the angels. Only three were left for him to check off the list. He had originally been shy and nervous at the idea, but you could see his confidence growing from this. He already knew them, but he just needed to get closer to them. Namjoon realized that once he lowered his walls, he was able to talk to them on an equal level. He used to speak down to you as if you were dirt and almost did the same to Jeonghwa. Now the two can have a friendly conversation that flows without much effort. Then Namjoon connected with Hwayoung on something they both shared together. Her trust was gained easier than he thought. Then his recent friend was Hyelin.

When they returned to the join the rest of you, those two couldn't stop laughing. Hyelin kept calling the berries 'traitors' for some reason. Then Namjoon would laugh anytime he made eye contact with her. That meant things were going really well! Everyone ate their food before going to sleep for the night. This time there was a lot more talking around the fire. It won't be long before Namjoon is laughing and talking with the rest of the angels. Just the thought had you excited. He went off to his carriage while the rest of the girls slept on the bamboo mats. You were taking the first shift of staying up. Later you would be switching out with Hwayoung.

While you stared up at the stars, you were thinking of little tips to give Namjoon. His next target is Ahn Heeyeon. She can be a little intimidating if you were being honest. Her looks were intense and her aura made her seem unapproachable. That might overwhelm Namjoon, but you trusted him to look past that. In reality, Heeyeon could be almost as silly as Hyelin. She is one of the brightest in the entire group. Heeyeon excelled in her education and was always praised when she was a student. You figure that could be something Namjoon and her could bond over. They would even have classes together in the past. Heeyeon would insist to be taught lessons she didn't even need. Women were already not taught many things, but Heeyeon liked to learn.

Hwayoung and you would be training in the practice yard while Heeyeon walked to class with heavy textbooks and scrolls in her hands. She studied philosophies from the west with Namjoon. You wondered why she would want to do that for fun. You learned what you needed like any other noblewoman, but you preferred physical training than reading. Though you saw it as a strange choice, you admired Heeyeon for it. She's intelligent and beautiful. The only thing was that she could occasionally forget that she's a lady. One class that Heeyeon did poorly in was etiquette of a noblewoman. It's not that she didn't know how to act like a flower, it's just that she didn't want to live like one. Heeyeon is quite the strong woman in your opinion.

*~*

The teacher wasn't even in the practice yard. Only a couple of guards who were training new men to join them. While they took some of the practice space, you and Hwayoung battled with the wooden staffs. It wasn't intense. The two of you were only working on your stances and skills. You really enjoyed learning how to fight with Hwayoung. She corrected you whenever you made weak swings or gripped the staff in a way that could backfire on you. All you corrected her was on trying to get her to plant her feet onto the ground. She wanted to be able to move right away, but there's no power in her swing. The power had to come from her entire body and not just from her arms.

The two of you were sweating from the continuous hours that you both were putting into this. You used to be weak at fighting with a sword. Hard work and stubborn determination got you to get this far. Fighting almost became an art to you. It was fun when it was practice. Using it to actually kill people was a different story. That reason for improving your skills didn't kill your passion though. It was necessary to fulfill your Fate. Hwayoung eventually called for a break which you were grateful for. Dropping down to the ground, you both laughed tiredly before spotting Heeyeon with multiple supplies in her arms.